OurMachinnery engine is no more

Last year I read an article about this new game engine called TheMachinery. It sounded very interesting, lightweight hackable, plugin based. I registered and download it but being the lazy ass that i am I never get to do anything with it but was hoping to see something interesting come out of it.
Sadly today I received an email from ourmachinery team telling that all licenses are terminated and to delete copies of the engine
The mail reads as such:
"Thanks so much for supporting The Machinery.

Unfortunately, we’ve reached a point where it’s no longer possible for us to continue in the current direction. Per Section 14 of the End User License Agreement, the development of The Machinery will cease, all licenses are terminated as of 14 days after the date of this notice, and you are requested to delete your copies of The Machinery.

We really appreciated you being a part of the Our Machinery Community. We hope we have been helpful in some way to your development needs.

-Our Machinery"

Maybe they will find another direction to take The machinery that is worthwhile.

huh, another interesting game engine bites the dust...

that said, Godot seems to be growing more stable and popular among devs, primarily it's 2D engine is very good already, but it's 3D functionsstill have plenty of room for improvements compared to dedicated 3D engines like unreal engine.

also, it's free and open source IIRC. 😉

Reactions: invader and Pifanjr
Godot seems to be growing more stable and popular among devs
Yeah, I've been keeping an eye on it for the last couple of years. I like things it's trying to do, like 'support' console ports and visual programming. It helps that its built-in scripter GDScript is similar to Python.

it's 2D engine is very good
Right—from the little I know about this stuff, the impression I got was use Godot for 2D and Unity for 3D… of the larger engines, that is.

free and open source IIRC
Yes to both—MIT license, which is one of the freest out there.

Fun question: how do you pronounce Godot? :)

Reactions: Pifanjr
Right—from the little I know about this stuff, the impression I got was use Godot for 2D and Unity for 3D… of the larger engines, that is.
Have you ever checked out SFML? It's really good for 2D stuff. When my youngest son was born, I programmed a GUI API to work with it. But that was 13 years ago, and they've been through so many new versions since then that it's obsolete, and you can't even find my work anymore. I think SFML has GUI stuff built into it nowadays.

You asked that on purpose, do you? :D
I made a quick search and there is an entire discussion about it, that I won't even go near it.
I will use "spanished " corrupted pronunciation of the name just because; so 'Godot' as is written it is
Nailed it, senor!

PS for me it's 'go dough'—when I first saw it, I assumed it was named for Beckett's play :)
LOL, for me I also thought it was "goh-doh" like play-doh, 🤣

and I've been spoiled by youtube channels that also pronounce it that way, so... I refuse to go anywhere near a pronounciation argument ovr that.

also, just in case, GIF for me is JIF. 😉
s3-screen_shot_2020-02-26_at_10.47.05_am--default--1046.png

Reactions: Brian Boru

TRENDING THREADS