Odd question regarding voice lines in games not playing on headphones...

So when playing Evil West on Game Pass, the game's voiceover lines don't play on my Epos headphones, but if I switch to earbuds, they play just fine. What strange thing is going on here? If you know how to fix it, that would be great as well. The only sound settings options under the Xbox Game Bar are for "Mix" and "Voice" where "Mix" are the sounds going to the headphones, and "Voice" is your microphone (thanks for obfuscating things MIcrosoft). These just let you select your device.

Reactions: Brian Boru
So when playing Evil West on Game Pass, the game's voiceover lines don't play on my Epos headphones, but if I switch to earbuds, they play just fine. What strange thing is going on here? If you know how to fix it, that would be great as well. The only sound settings options under the Xbox Game Bar are for "Mix" and "Voice" where "Mix" are the sounds going to the headphones, and "Voice" is your microphone (thanks for obfuscating things MIcrosoft). These just let you select your device.
After using my brain (I would have preferred to use someone else's), I'm wondering if it is because I've possibly activated something like 5.1 surround sound in the game via my use of Dolby Atmos, and if using this puts voice in a "channel" that my headphones can't use, but when pushed through my simplified earbuds, everything just goes either left or right.

Note: I don't know anything about audio, so the above may well be unintentionally funny.

Anyway, I will test this out tomorrow when I play the game again.

the game's voiceover lines don't play on my Epos headphones, but if I switch to earbuds,
are they both wired? Do Epos have their own software?

now we have Zed talking to self... last week I found Brian doing it... you guys need to get outside more :D

I can do the opposite sort of. If I play grim dawn, the spoken lines don't play on my speakers, but if I use headphones, I hear them... it was a surprise first time I heard them as I normally use speakers.

it could be a surround setting. I think that is why I never hear them on speakers.

are they both wired? Do Epos have their own software?

now we have Zed talking to self... last week I found Brian doing it... you guys need to get outside more :D

I can do the opposite sort of. If I play grim dawn, the spoken lines don't play on my speakers, but if I use headphones, I hear them... it was a surprise first time I heard them as I normally use speakers.

it could be a surround setting. I think that is why I never hear them on speakers.
They have their own software, but not for my particular headset for some reason. I think mine is an older model that was discontinued.

We know what you mean, but in fairness, we learned from the best.

stop throwing stones at my glass house
I do sometimes show links to Anort, hence his occasional reply.
I might leave that thread alone for a while now. Sick of changing mind...

anyway... this question

what model is it? You had a thread on them, Epos Sennheiser?
notices you didn't mention model number in that thread either. Knowing that or just a photo of them might help me find more.
Are they surround sound or just stereo?

Only other thought is you changed settings in game for one of them

• Haha
stop throwing stones at my glass house
I do sometimes show links to Anort, hence his occasional reply.
I might leave that thread alone for a while now. Sick of changing mind...

anyway... this question

what model is it? You had a thread on them, Epos Sennheiser?
notices you didn't mention model number in that thread either. Knowing that or just a photo of them might help me find more.
Are they surround sound or just stereo?

Only other thought is you changed settings in game for one of them
They are the H6Pro. Pretty sure they are discontinued as they've been marked down from $179 to $94.

But I fixed it anyway. Turning off "Spatial Sound" in the Windows sound settings fixed it.

You could work on figuring out why the microphone doesn't work anymore :)

When I first got the headphones, when I went to sound settings, they were selectable by their brand name, now that option is gone, and they work by selecting the generic RealTek option. I assumed I needed a new sound driver for the headphones, but when I try to do that, the only thing that comes up is Epos telling me to download their software. When I download their software, it says it doesn't recognize the headphones.

Could possibly be that my cable is going bad? I've got another cable around here somewhere...

It got a design award in 2022... I doubt its discontinued. Sennheiser don't retire headphones even if they replace them. My HD600's are a 25 year model, still selling
There aren't any drivers for it on that page, just PDF show.
Which helps explain why they didn't see headphones.

strange it knew what it was and now doesn't. I would try the headphones on another PC and see if it has same problem.

Dumb question: The headphones were plugged in when you looked for them in options? As obviously it won't be there if they unplugged.

Last edited:
It got a design award in 2022... I doubt its discontinued. Sennheiser don't retire headphones even if they replace them. My HD600's are a 25 year model, still selling
There aren't any drivers for it on that page, just PDF show.
Which helps explain why they didn't see headphones.

strange it knew what it was and now doesn't. I would try the headphones on another PC and see if it has same problem.

Dumb question: The headphones were plugged in when you looked for them in options? As obviously it won't be there if they unplugged.
Yeah, they were plugged in. I'll try them on a different PC.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts