No power to USB ports after pc is off

Jun 21, 2021
Visit site
So I recently bought a pre built and I’ve tried charging things with the USB ports but they get no power when the pc is off. I’ve changed USB settings in power settings and had no luck with that. Since it’s a pre built the BIOS is very limited and has no USB port settings
Is there anyway to work around this or do I have to get another motherboard ?

Jun 21, 2021
Visit site
if you knew you wanted to charge from USB before you bought PC, why didn't you look into that ability before buying?

I guess you could have assumed it would do it. Expensive assumption.

what motherboard does it have? couldn't you buy a powered USB hub? not sure if they work after PC is off but sure would be cheaper than a new motherboard.
Lenovo W125884731 AMD Vermeer B550 motherboard
So is there a work around it or do I have to get a new motherboard ? Money isn’t a problem

Reactions: RioRF99
do I have to get a new motherboard ?
No. You have 2.5 options.

1. Don't turn off the PC's electricity when you shut down, just do Windows shutdown. Your USB ports will then get power to charge.

2. Do what @Colif suggested:
buy a powered USB hub

powered USB hub? not sure if they work after PC is off
They do if they have a separate power cord connecting to the electricity.

3. Combine 1 & 2—buy a powered hub which plugs into a PC USB port, and don't turn off the electricity. That's the setup I've used for over a decade.

Tip: spend a little extra for a hub with switches on each port, nice QoL improvement. Examples:

and

Jun 21, 2021
Visit site
No. You have 2.5 options.

1. Don't turn off the PC's electricity when you shut down, just do Windows shutdown. Your USB ports will then get power to charge.

2. Do what @Colif suggested:

They do if they have a separate power cord connecting to the electricity.

3. Combine 1 & 2—buy a powered hub which plugs into a PC USB port, and don't turn off the electricity. That's the setup I've used for over a decade.

Tip: spend a little extra for a hub with switches on each port, nice QoL improvement. Examples:

and
I do use windows shut down and again my USB ports don’t get power after the pc is off. I don’t cut it’s power from the outlet.