Question New Gigabyte Gaming OC 3070 - Two Concerns

Sep 5, 2020
Visit site
Hi everyone -

Managed to snag a Gigabyte Gaming OC 3070 from BH Photo at MSRP. Probably not the card I would have picked, but beggars can’t be choosey right now. It was too long to fit my Alienware R11 case, but I got it to fit by replacing the OEM fan with Noctua slim fan. Of course, got a boot error but I solved this by plugging the Noctua into the CPU fan header (liquid cooled), then mounted the OEM fan to the side panel as an exhaust plugged into its normal header (had to remove the two empty SSD trays at the bottom for it to fit).

Two questions:

1. Despite an extra fan, AWCC still shows the GPU heating up to 82-83C. Any suggestions to cool better or is this fine?

2. When I boot up, invariably my LG CX 65 stops detecting a signal on the Alienware startup screen, even after re-seating the cable. If I force shutdown and turn it on again, invariably the signal is always detected (and held) on the second attempt…so annoying. Any idea how to fix?

Reactions: FukBi
Sep 5, 2020
Visit site
Not much response here but figured I’d post the outcome for anyone else.

1. Ended up using a splitter off the front fan header with a Corsair ML 120 pro as the master and the Noctua on the 3 pin side. I was able to trim the HDD bays so that I could wedge the Corsair between those and the PSU cage…it’s very secure. Temps are now hovering 75-77 under load. I have an extra Noctua I may plug into the cpu header and place in the front hdd bay for additional intake, but a lot of cables are stored there so it might just be good enough. No boot error.

2. Researched online, disabled ‘Quick start up’ buried in the power options…no more problems with lost signal on first boot. Don’t know why it worked and nothing feels ‘slow’ about the boot process.

TRENDING THREADS