New build advice for 1080 gaming

Nov 26, 2020
Visit site
Hello,

I want to buy a computer for my son, it's most extreme use will be gaming.
I do not live in the US or Europe, so pricing is a less important, as I'm more interested in the quality of the parts and avoid overkill or bottle-necking.

I have come to this initial build:

CPU - AMD Six Core Ryzen 5 3600XT Up To 4.5Ghz AM4 BOX - or 3600
Mobo - Asus ROG Strix B450-F Gaming (other options are B450 AORUS ELITE and ASUS TUF GAMING B550M-PLUS)
Memory - XPG 16G (2X8G) DDR4 3200Mhz CL16 GAMMIX D20 BLACK (cheaper) or Corsair Vengeance LPX 16G (2x8G) DDR4 3200Mhz CL16 Black
GPU - GALAX GeForce RTX2060 SUPER 8G D6 Up To 1710Mhz 1-Click OC. Should I choose a cheap 2070 Super instead (about 160 $ more expensive) like the PNY GeForce RTX2070 SUPER 8G Up To 1770Mhz Dual Fan
PSU - Antec 650W HCG-650M 80+ GOLD Full Modular High Current Gamer
SSD - (in increasing price order) - XPG 512G SX8200 PRO M.2 NVMe R/W Up To 3000/3500MB/s or XPG 512G S11 PRO PCIE GEN3X4 or WD Black 500G SN750 NVMe or Samsung SSD 500G 970 EVO M.2 NVMe
Case - Fractal Meshify C (BTW, should I buy extra fans for this build?)

Thank you for your help

Last edited by a moderator:
I'll preface this with the fact its a terrible time to be building a PC. The newer generation parts are out and perform much better than the older, but they are sold out everywhere likely until new year. The older gen parts are not priced well compared to performance anymore, but they are the only ones widely available.

Having said that, they are not any slower then they were a month ago and will still perform well into the next couple of years.

If you must buy now, the parts you picked look good. I suggest getting a 1TB SSD if its possible, 500gb wont last long, its about enough space for Windows plus Call of Duty at this point! (Slight exageration, but only slight). For basic usage such as gaming theres not much difference between the cheapest and the most expensive, so capacity is more important IMO.

You can get an extra 120mm fan for the front. The Arctic P12 fans perform as well as any for a good price, if you don't care about RGB.

What monitor will this be used with? I dont think the 2070 Super is worth $160 more then a 2060 Super but it will be faster, obviously. If your budget is limited you're better off putting that money into bigger storage. The 2070 is about 20% faster then the 2060 on average. To put that in perspective if the 2060 Super gets 50 FPS the 2070 Super will get 60.

Reactions: Cynicoren
Nov 26, 2020
Visit site
Thank you for the reply.

My son plays mostly Overwatch (I wish he will change to a different game someday soon), and on one hand I know the new parts are better ( and I'm in no rush to buy a new computer, it's less comfortable for him but we have one in the living room), on the other hand, since the display on his old computer is a Dell 1080 IPS (U2412M) I don't know if there's a point waiting, because even the 2060 super is an overkill.
I since its end of life of these products, I can buy the Galax 2070 super for about 630$ (it was about 770$ here before Black Friday sale). I guess the new equivalent GPU (3070) will cost around 800$ when they'll arrive here, probably in 3-4 months. The stock of those cheap 2060 Super has depleted here, BTW.
I'll take your advice on the SSD (M2 lasts longer than a regular SSD?) and the cooling.

I will appreciate more of your insights on the info I added.

At 60hz 1080p Esports gaming a 2060 Super will be fine. Depending on what game your son moves too

Also bear in mind that Nvidia will tomorrow also release a 3060Ti which will most likely be faster then a 2080 Super for about the cost of the 2070 Super. If you can find one before they sell out of course. I mention it because it would bother me.

I'm not an expert on the ins and outs of solid state storage below a surface level. I do know that for our gaming and home uses its not as relevant because we arent writing over the drives again and again on a daily basis. They wont be worn in the same way professionals do when using them as scratch drives for designing, for example.

I just replaced a Samsung 830 128GB as my boot drive. Its been in there for over 8 years and its still at 88% according to the Samsung magician software.

The Kingston A2000 is a budget 1TB NVME drive thats rated for 365 TBW.

Maybe this will ease your mind on that part. The biggest games are around 200 GB currently, and you only need to install them once.

'Terabytes Written (TBW) Terabytes Written (TBW) directly measures how much you can write cumulatively into the drive over its lifetime. Essentially, it just includes the multiplication we did above in the measurement itself.For example, if your drive is rated for 365 TBW, that means you can write 365 TB into it before you may need to replace it.If its warranty period is 5 years, that works out to 365 TB ÷ (5 years × 365 days/year) = 200 GB of writes per day.'

Reactions: Cynicoren

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts