Need help with new laptop.

May 11, 2020
Visit site
Hello,

I recently bought a new Lenovo 330s with the ryzen 2500u and the AMD Vega graphics 8. I've noticed that some people have gotten some pretty good perfomance out of the box playing games. In the meanwhile, I'm barely able to hit 60fps playing CSGO with everything on low. I looked up some possible solutions and I've decided to do a TDP upgrade. Well, I haven't seen any difference in perfomance while playing at 25 and 30watts in CSGO, still getting 30-50fps with everything on very low. I saw some people get a steady 100fps while running 25watts. I've check all the power setting and is all running at best perfomance no power savings at all. No programs open while playing none of that. PLEASE HELP

What are all of the steps you have tried?

What is your Windows power plan set to?

What are the CPU and GPU temperatures, loads, and frequencies when gaming? You can use MSI Afterburner's on screen display to check easily.

May 11, 2020
Visit site
I've tried setting the power plant to Maximun perfomance and TDP

My CPU and GPU temperatures are always below 60 and few times it gets to 70c.

I've ran a few test with MSI Kombuster and MSI afterburner and my CPU runs from 400mhz and 1100mhz. Depending on the test I was running it would go up to 1100mhz and sometimes it would stay at 400mhz while the GPU went up.

GPU was most of the time running at 900mhz to 1063mhz.

I was running Lakes of Titan v1 X16 with MSI kombustor 3 and it first started out at 30-50fps and after 5 seconds it went up to 100-136fps max.

Using uProf I've seen that Socket0 is running at 20watts and the others at sometimes fluctuate from 15-25-30watts. I haven't open Ryzen controller or anything like that to run this test.

May 8, 2020
Visit site
Bro I'd highly recommend you to go for laptop, if you're planning for hardcore gaming. But if you want to use laptop for office and simple work then go it. Because I've Dell Precision M4800 which have 16gb ram and 1tb harddisk with 2gb of graphics card but still it heats very quickly.

May 11, 2020
Visit site
Bro I'd highly recommend you to go for laptop, if you're planning for hardcore gaming. But if you want to use laptop for office and simple work then go it. Because I've Dell Precision M4800 which have 16gb ram and 1tb harddisk with 2gb of graphics card but still it heats very quickly.
My laptop is suppose to be a "quick gamig laptop.* Able to handle most games at low resolution but I've seen videos of people running 25-30watts and they gey an amazing boost of performance. But when I try it. I don't see boost at all

Are you sure the CPU clock was only at 1100MHz max? As that's the frequency the Vega GPU is meant to run at. Reporting error in the software?

If the CPU is downclocked to 1100MHz that would account for the poor performance, but we'd need to work out why it was downclocking...

How long have you had the laptop and where did you buy it from? Any after sales support or manufacturer warranty?

May 11, 2020
Visit site
I've been with the laptop for 2 weeks now and haven't had any trouble at all other than the performance.

I got it from a very well known seller on eBay that sells refurbished laptops from the manufacturer. I'm under warranty and it says the 2021/05/28 according to Lenovo's own software.

I'm running some benchmarks right now and the Mem clock is running at 1200mhz, it hasn't move or anything but the GPU clock ranges from 900mhz to 1100mhz max. After 2 minutes of running the GPU minimum has been 1013mhz and 1100max

The CPU is an APU which has onboard graphics and so the system memory is the GPU memory. It will be 1200 fixed because the system's memory (RAM) is 2400MHz (Double Data Rate, double 1200MHz)

The GPU clock sounds basically normal.

And the CPU clock as we were talking about above?

If the laptop is having performance issues and is under warranty, make the problem Lenovo's problem. Contact their support :)

I don't follow refurbished laptops much, so it's interesting to hear an ebay seller is selling them with manufacturer warranty somehow, unless it's an authorised reseller who also sells via ebay. Either way, if you have it, use it.

May 11, 2020
Visit site
What Laptops do you recommend for a 600us budget. I would spend more but I don't really play demanding games and I don't play a lot either.

I don't care if is use or new

Reactions: kyneo01
Do you need to be able to play games on the go? As if not, a console or PC would be a better bet, alongside your current laptop.

To be frank, if your laptop is not performing properly, you need to get it sorted and call on the warranty even if the service is crud because if it has something wrong with it, that needs fixing before it gets worse and/or dies.

May 11, 2020
Visit site
Yes I'm going to get it solve and maybe get my money back. That's why I'm thinking about getting a new laptop for around the same price.

Yes I prefer Laptops because I'm always outside and barely at home

Just to preface this, I wouldn't buy a used laptop unless it was to experiment with it, personally.

You'd ideally want dedicated graphics and you're not going to get that for $600 new I expect. As in, a (modern-ish) GTX card, not an MX one.

Apparently there's this with a 1050 ti for ~$650

This with a 1050 for $600

Those are just the first two I saw with buy now options and dedicated graphics that don't completely suck. I didn't check the sellers or read the listings in detail.

TRENDING THREADS