need help for budget config - up to 1000$

Mar 22, 2022
Visit site
Hello everyone.

It has been more than 12 years that i didnt build a tower so I am very rusty here.
I also understand that there is a world crisis on component so i guess I choose the best time ever to need a computer :)

Why Are You Upgrading:

I currently operate with a semi decent laptop (i3-10g) but my job is very demanding (i'm a programmer) and I'm constanlty pushing my laptop to its limits...
And even If i dont play games that much, I would love to be able to raise my settings a bit higher.

Budget:
Up to 1000$ (the less the better of course :) )

Approximate Purchase Date:
Sooner the better but i am very flexible on that

Use Case:
I do not care to have the highest graphics possible, i'm perfectly happy with some medium/high settings on games like total war three kingdom (my current addiction).
I can happily have fun with years old games so the rig do not need to be suuuuper powerfull.

Mostly I need the rig to be work efficient (stong processor, SSD drive and ram capacity).
My second need is gaming, more as a cherry on the cake :)
But since I'm a game developer, having an ok graphic card will also help (even though i mostly do 2d games so its not that important)

Parts to Upgrade:
Everything. Since I leave in Guatemala, I prefer to buy components rather than a prebuilt unit (even if i'm aware that it would be cheaper. No way a prebuilt would survive the trip here intact :)

Are you buying a monitor:
No, already got one

Your Monitor Resolution and desired frame rate:
happy with regular full hd. No need for 4k or VR

Preferred Website(s) for Parts?
Flexible on that.

Parts Preferences:
I always had a preference for dell and intel but Im totally ok with anything else expect HP

Overclocking:
Nope

Additional Comments:
Less bling as possible please ><

Thanks a lot

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: Brian Boru
Mar 22, 2022
Visit site
This is what i came up with for now.

Please let me know if there is compatibility issues (video card / motherboard / proc...)
And if there are ways to optimize components (cheaper for similar perf, etc...)

Thanks a lot :

Proc : 207 $
Intel Core i5-12400 Desktop Processor 18M Cache, up to 4.40 GHzIntel Core i5-12400 Desktop Processor 18M Cache, up to 4.40 GHz

Ram : 147$
Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (2 X 16GB) DDR4 3600 (PC4-28800) C18 1.35V Desktop Memory - BlackCorsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (2 X 16GB) DDR4 3600 (PC4-28800) C18 1.35V Desktop Memory - Black

SSD : 114$
WD_BLACK 1TB SN770 NVMe Internal Gaming SSD Solid State Drive - Gen4 PCIe, M.2 2280, Up to 5,150 MB/s - WDS100T3X0EWD_BLACK 1TB SN770 NVMe Internal Gaming SSD Solid State Drive - Gen4 PCIe, M.2 2280, Up to 5,150 MB/s - WDS100T3X0E

Motherboard : 180$
ASUS TUF Gaming B660M-PLUS WiFi D4 LGA 1700(Intel 12th Gen) mATX Gaming Motherboard (PCIe 5.0,DDR4,2xPCIe 4.0 M.2 Slots,WiFi 6,2.5 Gb LAN,Front USB 3.2 Gen 1 Type-C,Two-Way AI Noise Cancelation)ASUS TUF Gaming B660M-PLUS WiFi D4 LGA 1700(Intel 12th Gen) mATX Gaming Motherboard (PCIe 5.0,DDR4,2xPCIe 4.0 M.2 Slots,WiFi 6,2.5 Gb LAN,Front USB 3.2 Gen 1 Type-C,Two-Way AI Noise Cancelation)

Graphic Card : 260$
XFX Speedster QICK210 Radeon RX 6500XT Black Gaming Graphics Card with 4GB GDDR6 HDMI , AMD RDNA 2 RX-65XT4DBDQXFX Speedster QICK210 Radeon RX 6500XT Black Gaming Graphics Card with 4GB GDDR6 HDMI , AMD RDNA 2 RX-65XT4DBDQ

Total : 910$ without case

So I'm in my upper budget.
If i could reduce that without loosing too much in perf it would be great.

Again, I mostly need my computer to be work efficient (good RAM, Processor,hard drive)
My gaming needs are second, but highly welcomed (i havnt played games properly in a very long time ....)

Mar 22, 2022
Visit site
Apparently, the supplied cooler is good enough.

So here is my current build :

That should be solid for my needs ?
(Good machine to work and decent to play)

You think i could run total war three kingdom on high settings and large ammount of units with that ?

(I also change my post to put my price in the 1000$ range, i realize i wont probably be able to settle for less ><)

TRENDING THREADS