Need help choosing PC Desktop (iBUYPOWER)

Jul 30, 2020
Visit site
So I've had my eye on two of iBUYPOWER's desktops.

iBUYPOWER - Gaming Desktop - Intel Core i7-9700F - 16GB Memory - NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER - 1TB HDD + 480GB SSD

iBUYPOWER - Gaming Desktop - Intel Core i7-9700K - 16GB Memory - NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER - 1TB HDD + 480GB SSD

Will there be a big difference between the 2? I'm not too knowledgeable about desktops and graphics cards.

What I need it for:
Of course gaming. I like something that performs very well, but It's not a huge deal to me if it's not top of the line. I don't play video games as much as I used to, but there are still some big titles like Elden Ring, Mortal Shell, Cyberpunk 2077, etc that I'm excited to play. My current PC is old and can't handle newer games. I don't stream, if that makes any difference.

Adobe Illustrator and Photoshop. I work as a graphic designer, and now that I work mostly from home, I need my computer to be fast.

Web Design and programming. I'm transitioning into a new career. I do HTML, CSS, JavaScript, and more. I don't think these require too fast of a computer.

I'm trying to get a great desktop that will last me a long time, but won't be extremely expensive. If you have any recommendations under $1500 feel free to share!

I was even looking at:
iBUYPOWER - Gaming Desktop - Intel Core i7-9700F - 16GB Memory - NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1660 SUPER - 1TB HDD + 480GB SSD

Would this still suit me well?

Jul 3, 2020
Visit site
Get the 1st one listed if you want to play cyberpunk. If money isn't an issue then the 2nd. Don't bother with the 3rd.

The 1st one will do what you want. The 2nd will too, but a much higher cost.

Reactions: tneilson08
What monitor do you use? The resolution and refresh rate

Also, none of those systems seem ideal as they have 9th Gen Intel CPUs. And aren't cheap enough to make them seem attractive over 10th Gen or over AMD Ryzen options.

Also, depending on your monitor, the GPUs might be massive overkill.

And as well, how urgent is the purchase? If it's mainly for unreleased titles, then you could wait for Cyberpunk to be out in Nov. By then there will also be new CPUs from AMD, and new GPUs from Nvidia and AMD, which should increase the amount of performance you get for a given price. And we'll also know how X hardware performs in at least that title.

Aug 24, 2020
Visit site
You could go to iBuyPower directly and choose there starting Gaming PC for $599. Then choose customize and upgrade to the Ryzen 7 3700x which is almost double on benchmark what the i7 9700F or K can do. Then just choose your case, get 16gb RGB memory, change the liquid cooling to two fans, change the Mother board to the one you like, change the storage to nvme and you can add a 1tb or 2tb 3.5" yourself and this would be a much better system overall. I think you can save a lot of money going with the GTX 1660 ti since you don't need all that graphics horsepower for the cyberpunk and such at 1080p. If you have a nice monitor and want to play at 1440p or 4k, then of course you need more graphics, but you will still only pay pretty much what you're paying at BB and get almost twice the processing power and faster storage. I think the SS 480gb drive in those BB systems is a 2.5 SSD and not NVME, which is still better than 7200 drive, but you can customize for around the same price and get more for your money at iBuyPower directly.

Last edited:
Reactions: tneilson08
Aug 24, 2020
Visit site
I purchased a lower priced iBuyPower on Amazon for $629, and upgraded different parts like processor, video card and memory, system still costing me under 1k after selling the old processor, memory and video card for cheap to get some money back. I like all the bling, so I purchased stuff to give me more RGB besides how it came.

There are definitely advantages to custom builds, but they are more expensive, even with ibuypower.

The 3700x is not "almost double on benchmark" the 9700k though - not even in Cinebench multithreaded. And even if it were, that wouldn't be relevant to the uses the OP stated.

As for not needing much GPU horsepower for Cyberpunk, nobody can know that as it's not out yet. But people are expecting it to want a lot of GPU horsepower.

As for buying a PC only to rip the parts out and replace them, well, we all have our own methods, but that's not going to be the best method for 99.99% of people. It's not one I'd recommend people do.

Also, this topic has been inactive for 3 weeks......

Reactions: Synack
Aug 24, 2020
Visit site
I guess you're right, what I do is not what others may want to do. I was just expressing my opinion since I purchased one of those and found I could get an AMD system for a lot less with a lot more power. I wanted more bling as well, so I just upgraded stuff to get more bling, not so much extensive power. But I do know that AMD gets you more for your money now as far as processing power. My Ryzen 7 3700X is far better than those two for less money and came with a nice Wraith Prism Cooler that has nice RGB. The motherboard and power supply I got is very limited, but has just enough power to give me the upgrades I wanted for more bling.

TRENDING THREADS