Mute Certain Forums

Could you add a function to mute certain forums that we're not interested in? Whenever I click New Posts it is hard to find the new threads I'm interested in because there are so many General Hardware threads asking about build ideas. Which is great that they're so active, but it'd be helpful for me if I could simply screen all of those threads out of my New Posts list.

well, i can't offer a way to remove those posts from that page but i can show how to find only unanswered threads in other forums

How to search an individual sub forum for unanswered questions with no replies

On any sub forum, click the filters header
you will see this pop up - View: https://i.imgur.com/HrXpj34.jpg

Under answer, set it to Unresolved questions
Under reply status, set it to Only threads with no replies

Only downside is you can't save the filters, so you might get sick of doing it every time... or save it as a bookmark on your browser.

I don't use it here, I have set it up for a similar purpose as a bookmark on Tom's Hardware - link

2 things - I didn't think pictures worked?, and you cannot add filters to the Unanswered question page as it is actually the output of a filtered search. we have asked similar in past :)

also notices he didn't quite answer question but it might help someone :)

You would need more filter choices. If you want to mute, you also need a choice of only show certain forums there.
curious how the new filter is different to the one in normal forums - View: https://i.imgur.com/Jixd44h.jpg

Last edited:
It seems this can only be done on an individual subforum, not on a section of them at once. So only on "General Gaming" not "PC Gaming Discussions" so as to include General Gaming, RPG, Shooter, etc, is that right?

Wait wait wait, much more importantly @Colif how do I activate Night Mode?!

(Joking aside this is still important though, please suggest to your programmers that they add it as an option to the New posts feed. It's such a useful feature except for being swamped with General Hardware threads!)

Reactions: Oussebon

SHaines

Community Manager
Staff member

(Joking aside this is still important though, please suggest to your programmers that they add it as an option to the New posts feed. It's such a useful feature except for being swamped with General Hardware threads!)

Hey there,

It's not currently possible to mute specific sections of the forums for users. If we have more folks looking to have such a feature, feel free to post those requests in this thread as well. If there's enough interest, we can discuss this with the Xenforo folks and look into options.

With all that's happening in the world at the moment, I don't really have an estimate for when we'd be able to look into this, but we'll get it added to our ongoing list of requests if folks are up for it.

Was that a serious question as I am sure there is a post around here somewhere about that...Shaines posted it in here - https://forums.pcgamer.com/threads/forum-features.1664/

Shaines closer to the people who can maybe beg Xenforo to make the feature. I am just a volunteer here, no different to you people.

Last edited:
Reactions: Hveðrungr
Thanks @Colif. @SHaines is great, and I know how pleased he is with the forums.

Steven, if you think Xenforo would be able to add something like that, I for one would find it useful. All I want is to be able to block certain forums from showing up in the New Posts list one accesses from the left sidebar.

Why don't you use the "Unread threads in watched forums" feature for that? Then just watch the forums you're interested in, that's how I have it set up. My "New Posts" has a filter saved of "Unread", "Watched" and "Participated", so it just shows threads I'm active in with new responses.

Reactions: Brian Boru