Looking at buying my 10 year old a gaming pc.

Jan 23, 2024
Visit site
I am out of my depth as not tech savy at all, but my son is, our old computer got a virus about a year ago and he misses it. So thought we'd look into how much it would be to get one for his birthday, I wanted something half decent, but do not know where to start. Was hoping to keep under £1500, will need everything.
We are in the UK, thanks in advance for any suggestions.

With your situation I believe getting a pre-built gaming PC would be the best way to go. They are already assembled, all parts compatible, and ready to use right out of the box. The main disadvantages are that they can be more expensive than building it yourself since you are also paying for professional installation.

I’m not from the UK, but googling “UK custom PC builders” brought up a lot of results.

Looking at one retailer, Overclockers UK, they have some decent options for less than £1500. That is only one retailer, you’d be best to do more research and look at other retailers.

As for viruses, I’d recommend getting a standalone anti-virus software. Typically Window’s built in security features are good enough as long as you use AdBlock on your browser and have common internet sense, but kids being kids are going to find ways to bypass it or do something they shouldn’t have, like looking for free download links for games you need to pay for. Getting a standalone virus software can be more secure and may have features such as parental setting to help make sure your children are safe on the internet also to protect the PC from viruses, malware, etc. I don’t use separate antivirus, but if I ever have kids it is something I’d absolutely get.

According to a few websites I read often, Bitdefender seems to have the best anti-virus. You can get it for free or pay an annual fee to get the “Pro” version. Would be worth it if the PC comes out under your budget.

If you find some PC’s you’re considering buying and want to share them here for our opinions, we’ll let you know if they will be good for your kids’ gaming :)

Jan 23, 2024
Visit site
With your situation I believe getting a pre-built gaming PC would be the best way to go. They are already assembled, all parts compatible, and ready to use right out of the box. The main disadvantages are that they can be more expensive than building it yourself since you are also paying for professional installation.

I’m not from the UK, but googling “UK custom PC builders” brought up a lot of results.

Looking at one retailer, Overclockers UK, they have some decent options for less than £1500. That is only one retailer, you’d be best to do more research and look at other retailers.

As for viruses, I’d recommend getting a standalone anti-virus software. Typically Window’s built in security features are good enough as long as you use AdBlock on your browser and have common internet sense, but kids being kids are going to find ways to bypass it or do something they shouldn’t have, like looking for free download links for games you need to pay for. Getting a standalone virus software can be more secure and may have features such as parental setting to help make sure your children are safe on the internet also to protect the PC from viruses, malware, etc. I don’t use separate antivirus, but if I ever have kids it is something I’d absolutely get.

According to a few websites I read often, Bitdefender seems to have the best anti-virus. You can get it for free or pay an annual fee to get the “Pro” version. Would be worth it if the PC comes out under your budget.

If you find some PC’s you’re considering buying and want to share them here for our opinions, we’ll let you know if they will be good for your kids’ gaming :)
Thank you for the reply, and the suggestions. It has given me a starting point, I will be researching 😊

Reactions: Alm and neogunhero

COLGeek

Cybernaut
We never got it fixed as it was an old pc. I replaced it with a laptop.
Understood. In the future, make sure games (all applications for that matter) come from legitimate sources. That will reduce the likelihood of virus exposure. Same goes for dodgy websites, just don't do it.

Make sure son's account on the PC is a regular/normal user WITHOUT admin privileges. Require adult supervision to install anything.

Good luck.

Welcome to the forum :)

I've seen credible members recommend Scan UK as another option.

A lot depends on how you will use the PC, and what performance you require.

What kind of games—high action or walking simulators or turn-based?
What resolution?—big difference in parts needed for 4K compared with 1080p.
What refresh rate—60Hz or 144 or more?
Frames Per Second—30, 60, 100, more?

I am out of my depth as not tech savy at all, but my son is, our old computer got a virus about a year ago and he misses it. So thought we'd look into how much it would be to get one for his birthday, I wanted something half decent, but do not know where to start. Was hoping to keep under £1500, will need everything.
We are in the UK, thanks in advance for any suggestions.
This build includes Windows 11 and a gaming monitor. The 120mm fan goes inside the back of that case for an exhaust fan. The motherboard doesn't include wifi but that can be changed with a board that does for about 20 quid more if you require wifi.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: *Intel Core i5-12400F 2.5 GHz 6-Core Processor (£124.97 @ Amazon UK)
CPU Cooler: *Deepcool AG400 75.89 CFM CPU Cooler (£22.99 @ AWD-IT)
Motherboard: *MSI PRO B760-P DDR4 II ATX LGA1700 Motherboard (£129.98 @ Scan.co.uk)
Memory: *Corsair Vengeance LPX 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory (£59.99 @ Amazon UK)
Storage: *ADATA Legend 800 2 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 4.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive (£94.99 @ AWD-IT)
Video Card: *Sapphire 21330-01-20G Radeon RX 7800 XT 16 GB Video Card (£483.98 @ Overclockers.co.uk)
Case: *Fractal Design Focus 2 ATX Mid Tower Case (£60.48 @ Ebuyer)
Power Supply: *MSI MAG A750GL PCIE5 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply (£97.00 @ Amazon UK)
Operating System: *Microsoft Windows 11 Pro OEM - DVD 64-bit (£85.00 @ Amazon UK)
Case Fan: *ARCTIC P12 56.3 CFM 120 mm Fan (£9.09 @ Amazon UK)
Monitor: *AOC 24G2SPAE/BK 23.8" 1920 x 1080 165 Hz Monitor (£139.96 @ Ebuyer)
Total: £1308.43
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
*Lowest price parts chosen from parametric criteria
Generated by PCPartPicker 2024-01-23 23:58 GMT+0000

Ten year old kid probably means they are into the flashing lights (RGB). Change on the case and cpu cooler. Adds a few quid to the cost but apparently kids like this stuff.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: *Intel Core i5-12400F 2.5 GHz 6-Core Processor (£124.97 @ Amazon UK)
CPU Cooler: *Deepcool AG400 BK ARGB 75.89 CFM CPU Cooler (£28.04 @ Amazon UK)
Motherboard: *MSI PRO B760-P DDR4 II ATX LGA1700 Motherboard (£129.98 @ Scan.co.uk)
Memory: *Corsair Vengeance LPX 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory (£59.99 @ Amazon UK)
Storage: *ADATA Legend 800 2 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 4.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive (£94.99 @ AWD-IT)
Video Card: *Sapphire 21330-01-20G Radeon RX 7800 XT 16 GB Video Card (£483.98 @ Overclockers.co.uk)
Case: *Fractal Design Focus 2 RGB ATX Mid Tower Case (£67.54 @ Amazon UK)
Power Supply: *MSI MAG A750GL PCIE5 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply (£97.99 @ AWD-IT)
Operating System: *Microsoft Windows 11 Pro OEM - DVD 64-bit (£85.00 @ Amazon UK)
Case Fan: *ARCTIC P12 56.3 CFM 120 mm Fan (£9.09 @ Amazon UK)
Monitor: *AOC 24G2SPAE/BK 23.8" 1920 x 1080 165 Hz Monitor (£139.96 @ Ebuyer)
Total: £1321.53
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
*Lowest price parts chosen from parametric criteria
Generated by PCPartPicker 2024-01-24 03:10 GMT+0000

A better look at that cooler and case.

https://www.deepcool.com/products/C...GB-120mm-CPU-Cooler-1700-AM5/2022/16085.shtml

https://www.fractal-design.com/products/cases/focus/focus-2/rgb-black-tg-clear-tint/

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tIG4vFQbDn4

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts