Just a normal laptop for the wife

Aug 4, 2020
Visit site
So the wife spilt her coffee over her laptop which was an hp 250 G5. I pulled it apart but it was soaked so its no good. Managed to save her hard drive though.
I was told that was a good computer a couple of years ago but when I have went to repair it I've found that the keyboard is riveted to the inside of the damn thing so you have to use wire cutters to get it off. Way to make your laptops unrepairable HP. Disgrace.
I told you that becaue I will never get an HP again so they're out of consideration.
So cut to the chase. It has to have a nice screen, black casing, no snazzy bits needed here. That's the wifes requirements at any rate. For me it needs to have decent ish cpu and memory and not be over 500 quid.
I can put my own SD drive into it btw.
I'd appreciate any comments on brand, middle of the road cpu and any other things you may bare relevant. I can't make the same mistake as the last one i bought!
Thanks.

JunaeBenne

Jan 20, 2021
Visit site
Theyre both really expensive. The Budget was 500 quid. Arent Dell as bad as HP?
I wouldn't categorize them as bad. And getting a previous model of the Dell XPS 13 can be just as good. I've used many different laptops and I felt like it was how I treated them versus the actual hardware. The Surface laptops do have everything you need. You can always go with maybe a Samsung or Lenovo

Aug 4, 2020
Visit site
Well I just cant believe that any firm would use rivets to stick a keyboard backplate to a laptop. I mean it was totally un removable and I really need to mop that coffee up. It probably would have been ok if I had the chance to clean it up as only a very small amount had worked its way through. I just couldnt trust HP again after that. As for Dell they use really cheap parts inside their laptops as far as I can remember and their bloody fans are loud lol. I suppose I'm still abit miffed at losing a 600 pound l;aptop over a stupid mistake ( i can't call the wife stupid though) and I want to be extra carefull knowing that I'll be able to fix the next one.

JunaeBenne

Jan 20, 2021
Visit site
I hear that. The tricky part is trying to get a laptop that is "customizable" for lower than 500 quid. Especially because laptops are always one component. But I think Samsung can help there. What kind of processing power is the current laptop?

Reactions: Frindis
Aug 4, 2020
Visit site
Well, it was a Intel Core i5-7200U 2.5GHz with 8 gig of ram. When I first read the review it was supposedly the best dudget laptop for the money. I thought it was slugish and the screen seemed blury. We had the HP cotor on there and it was constantly updateing the Bios automatically. The first month we had it it was amazing and then on that first bios update it turned to treacle lol!

JunaeBenne

Jan 20, 2021
Visit site
Well, it was a Intel Core i5-7200U 2.5GHz with 8 gig of ram. When I first read the review it was supposedly the best dudget laptop for the money. I thought it was slugish and the screen seemed blury. We had the HP cotor on there and it was constantly updateing the Bios automatically. The first month we had it it was amazing and then on that first bios update it turned to treacle lol!
Oooh, I see...this laptop doesn't look great. If your wife needs an i5 processor you may have to go up in price.

Dec 7, 2020
Visit site
Aug 4, 2020
Visit site
Thanks for the suggestions guys thats really neat you took the time for a stranger ;) I'm unsure about 4 gb of memory and anything less than a 15" screen. Maybe I should be going a bit higher with my price. I Will take a look at Dell again and see if I can spot something on there. Women are very hard to please and if you try and get soemthing and they dont like it I may not as well have tried at all lol. Worst part of this is this is my 5900x fund money and the last thing i want to do is waste my 5900x budget on a laptop she wont like...... women. Can i say that days or am I going to get hung from the nearest tree?

Reactions: JunaeBenne

TRENDING THREADS