Is there any in-game activity you obsess over in a certain genre?

In survival games, I tend to come out of the box obsessed with food and water, and I continue to obsess over them until I get to a point where I think, "Okay, I've got a steady supply now."

I want to obsess over it so badly that I won't play survival games that don't allow me to do it. For example, in Forever Skies you have to fish for food, but then the food spoils very quickly. You'll just walk around awhile and decide it's time to eat and the food you just got is already spoiled. I felt like I couldn't concentrate on the rest of the game under those circumstances.

In survival games, I tend to come out of the box obsessed with food and water, and I continue to obsess over them until I get to a point where I think, "Okay, I've got a steady supply now."

I want to obsess over it so badly that I won't play survival games that don't allow me to do it. For example, in Forever Skies you have to fish for food, but then the food spoils very quickly. You'll just walk around awhile and decide it's time to eat and the food you just got is already spoiled. I felt like I couldn't concentrate on the rest of the game under those circumstances.
looting and more looting. opening every damn drawer to collect every penny.

Honestly, side missions. I do all as many as i can first before doing the main story ones. A no brainer as it gives me exp, resources etc. but it goes a lot deeper, mainly collectibles in the area etc. Assassin's creed i would sweep an area first as much as possible and leave the odd one or 2 along the way or hidden.

Crafting / sim stuff usually the basics/survival are top priority.

Yeah, that thing, long after I need it.

side missions … gives me exp, resources etc

Yep, that thing too, plus also gives a much better view of the world than just story-speeding.

Exploration

Which brings me to Exploration. In Open World games I'll often play a session just to go somewhere rather than to achieve something—eg let's see if there's a way to the top of that mountain, or what's on that island. In games with Fast Travel I'll usually make an asap point of going from one to the next just to activate them, as a prelude to later objectives and exploration.

In 4X I send my Scout to the coast, and then have him hug it all the way until he can't. I usually delegate recommended pattern of circling around first city to first Warrior. As soon as I have a coastal city and protection for local sea resource, off go 2 boats in each direction. Since maps are procedural, all this never gets old—sometimes I even customize an exploration game, ie large map and only 1-2 opponents :)

Headshots

This is a recent one, since I tripped over a good percentage in Far Cry 5—first of my games I noticed providing a %. I've always favored them and set my pistols and ARs to single shot and prioritize accuracy, scope and recoil stats, while avoiding the OP spray guns. I ended with 68% in FC5, and thereby was born an obsession to get over 75% in future games.

My last FC6 stat is 8,019 headshots from 9,130 total kills. I think Machete kills are the only one to deduct from total to get possible headshots, = 9,130 - 122 = 9,008 possible.
8,019 is 89%, which interestingly is exact same stat from when I had less than half game played—this latest is with 65% 'completion'. So obsession achieved, and new one born to get over 90% :D

It's at point now where I'll forego a better tactical option—eg frag a group in one go—in order to headshot them all. I need help—and medkits!

Air Supremacy

In RTS, air power is always my strategic aim, and my early game will be geared to getting it asap—so turtle, collect and research. Then breakout, target their anti-air, and win. The Orcas from the first C&C still bring a smile, I had so much new fun with those guys :)

In Dayz, I am always stockpiling to the point of it becoming most of the focus. I'm not that into all the PvP action, so I tend to stick around the outskirts and only move into small cities when I am more desperate for supplies. If you get a good hunting rifle, you don't really need to do that either, as wolves, sheep, elks and deer are plentiful. Animals do make sounds that attract other players and so does shooting them, so there are some risks involved.
I had like 80K gold in BG3 near the end, so much looting and selling to the point of almost getting ridiculous.
Honestly, side missions. I do all as many as i can first before doing the main story ones. A no brainer as it gives me exp, resources etc. but it goes a lot deeper, mainly collectibles in the area etc.
Often the side missions are well-written, so it can suck to miss some of them. The ones in RDR2, Skyrim, Fallout series, and BG3 come to mind.
Exploration

Which brings me to Exploration. In Open World games I'll often play a session just to go somewhere rather than to achieve something—eg let's see if there's a way to the top of that mountain, or what's on that island.
Love doing that! In MMOs for example, I'll always take my level 1 character on a trip and see how far I can get before dying. I did this with my nephew in Lord of The Rings Online and we managed to survive in high-level areas for a couple of hours, kiting the high level mobs and jumping down on objects to lose aggro. Fun little journey:)

In World of Warcraft, I swam for so long, that I eventually stumbled upon a deserted cave with a dead dragon in it. I looked it up years later and found out there was actually a story about the dragon and how it related to one of the future expansions. Pretty cool stuff!

Sarafan

Community Contributor
Loot in RPG games. I feel bad if I skip some location and miss equipment that is potentially stored there. :p There's an exception though. If I'm tired by the game and my characters reached the level cap I tend to skip optional locations regardless of loot. :) Also I have a problem with storing excessive equipment with the intention of using it later on (because surely there will be some hard encounters, ya know :D). I usually end up not using the items at all...

In open-world games that have lots of NPCs, I love talking to them and just seeing their routines or just messing with them. It helps make the world much more believable. RDR2 does this the best, though not everyone has a whole lot to say. You can follow an NPC and watch them go about their day, entering shops, walking around town and eventually going home. I love to see all the different types of people doing different things. Different parts of Saint Denis have different collections of people, such as dock workers near the shipyards and the fancy people near the expensive upper class parts of town.

Watch Dogs 2 does this pretty good as well, I think it has a great NPC life simulation. Some NPCs you can have a conversation with and it very sounds natural. They have decent variation and react to things in funny ways. One of my favorite things to do in WD2 is getting NPCs to react to your emotes. You can use an “insult” emote to make an NPC angry at you, and if you get them angry enough they will throw a punch. If you happen to do this nearby a police officer, the police will actually arrest the guy who assaulted you and you can watch them drive off with the guy in the backseat. You can also call a gang to assassinate someone, or call cops to arrest someone, so if you keep spamming this eventually you will have an all out cop vs. gang war, and you can stand right in the middle of it because no one knows you caused all of this. This is perhaps one of my favorite mechanics in any game ever. Cause absolute mayhem between NPCs and just watch from the sidelines as it all unfolds before you. Eventually the cops kill all the gang members and the war is over, but just as the last cop car is driving off, you cause a traffic jam then call in more gang members and start the whole process over again😂

In open-world games that have lots of NPCs, I love talking to them and just seeing their routines or just messing with them. It helps make the world much more believable
Made me think of the walking NPCs in GTAV and how they would go about their business. If you followed them you would see them walk around in a designated square and never leave that path. Thankfully other games do it better.
Eventually the cops kill all the gang members and the war is over, but just as the last cop car is driving off, you cause a traffic jam then call in more gang members and start the whole process over again😂
What a wicked web we weave!;)

Inspireless Llama

Community Contributor
Installing Racemenu in Skyrim combined with a body mod and 200 different hairstyles and just take screenshots of my character creatons - in Skyrim I think I have like 1500 screenshots, which 1450 of them consist of my at that time character.

The other 50 are either bugs or a mountain view over Whiterun.

My current Skyrim playthrough is slightly mroe serious though :) Little more gameplay, little less obsessing over my looks.

I'm definitely a hoarder. I will calculate weight to gold ratios to make sure I get the maximum amount of money. I'll also collect almost every single resource I see, even the stuff that I probably won't need, because you never know.

I also love upgrading stuff, especially things that allow me to gather resources more quickly. I love spending all those resources I hoarded to create something that generates more resources or to upgrade a tool that speeds up gathering resources.

It's why I occasionally get hooked on an idle game on my phone: seeing numbers go up and then upgrading something that makes the numbers go up faster can be incredibly satisfying.

Zloth

Community Contributor
You can use an “insult” emote to make an NPC angry at you, and if you get them angry enough they will throw a punch. If you happen to do this nearby a police officer, the police will actually arrest the guy who assaulted you and you can watch them drive off with the guy in the backseat.
Do this to the guy dressed as a big donut and you get an achievement! ;)
It's why I occasionally get hooked on an idle game on my phone: seeing numbers go up and then upgrading something that makes the numbers go up faster can be incredibly satisfying.
We better keep showing the post number on every post or we might lose Pifanjr!

"You can also call a gang to assassinate someone, or call cops to arrest someone..."
I had a blast with this. Almost every mission I would simply start some mayhem and watch from a distance until everyone was dead or arrested. You had a lot of choices, too. One mission I was up high watching this bad guy, and I called in a tip to the police saying he was involved in a murder. I watched as the police showed up and it all happened so realistically. First they just talked to him, but suddenly he pulled a gun and shot one of the policemen and then all hell broke loose. Eventually I was the only one left in the building.

One time I had an evil streak come over me, and I just started calling in gang hits on random citizens :ROFLMAO:

Oct 20, 2023
Visit site

I have almost the same thing only with shooting games. If the game allows you to endlessly pick up weapons, I will pick up everything I see on my way. Or I will search until I have maximum equipment. And only then will I go into battle

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts