Question Is Halo Infinite DOA?

Dec 7, 2021
Visit site
I've been playing the Halo Infinite multiplayer and I've definitely been having fun so far! However, everything I've seen about the campaign seems kind of underwhelming and I'm sure missing coop and Forge at the start is going to make it feel a little unfinished I'm sure. I guess we'll also see how the open world really plays. What does everyone else think?

Reactions: Frindis
I hope to find out tomorrow when I pick it up! I've been trying to stay away from too many reviews so my own experience is more neutral at the start.

Last edited:

Zloth

Community Contributor
Yes, but only using mods....
full

Master Chief mod in Dead or Alive (DOA)
;)

• Haha
Reactions: Withywarlock
I'm about 6 hours in and so far it's better than Halo 5 and perhaps 4. Some of the weapons are pretty satisfying. Great visuals and the music is much better than 4 and 5 as well, and more closely resembles the first 5 games (CE, 2,3,ODST, Reach)

Last edited:
All things considered I think Halo Infinite is doing pretty well. 343 don't exactly have the greatest track record but they absolutely nailed the gameplay in Infinite. The multiplayer is excellent. I downloaded the campaign yesterday but I have not played so far so I can't can give any comments on it. However, it did score well with critics, for what that's worth. My feeling is that Infinite is really the best Halo in a long time (I've never played Halo 5, though). There are valid criticisms though. As you noted a lot of features are coming post-launch, and the multiplayer progression being so bad on release is a bit baffling. I personally don't much about progression; I care that the game is mechanically excellent. Still, even if I don't care about it I still have to question how Xbox's most important IP had so much wrong with its multiplayer structure and monetization. The core mechanics are there but there are a lot of small nagging issues that are a bit baffling (e.g., the stupid playlists not allowing you to queue for just Slayer).

Reactions: Brian Boru
Some pros and cons in my playthrough, some are my own little nitpicks :cool::

Pros
- Open world is okay, perhaps really basic but still okay.
- Tons of different types of weapons.
- Grappling Hook makes traveling over the nearby mountain to get to the other side easy.
- No dual-wield, which I don't mind.
- Some music tracks are well done, but nearly all the good ones are simply remixes of Halo 1-3 tracks.
- No Covenant Carbine.
- An okay ending that leaves you wanting more.
- Day & Night cycles, though I would say the night should be a little darker.
- You can fly, but you have to find a Banshee to do it.
- Story is probably as long as any other Halo game if you stick to quest objectives and ignore side stuff.
- Random wildlife.
- Great surround sound effects as always.

Cons
- No weather effects. CE from 20 years ago had rain and snow and wind, this has none of that.
- No Plasma Rifle, which was a staple weapon of Halo 1-3, ODST, and Reach, and happens to be my favorite.
- Grappling Hook sometimes degrapples for no reason a foot before Master Chief can secure a ledge.
- Somewhat predictable storyline at times.
- Somewhat annoying hologram 'events' in storyline gets old fast.
- Annoying 'The Weapon' blabbering on about pursuing the next story mission endlessly instead of staying silent and just letting me explore the open world.
- No Ray tracing or DLSS.
- Weapon ammo drains far too quickly, having to constantly reload gets old fast.
- Having to constantly switch to other weapons gets old fast.
- 'The Weapon' wearing a UNSC jumpsuit seems kinda silly, it's an AI not a real woman, it doesn't need a jumpsuit, they could have always gone for the Halo 1,2,3 look.
- Not enough terrain variety, too much mountain & forest. Where are the plains, the deserts, the rainforest, the frozen wastes, and the large wide open seas and large rivers? See Halo CE and Halo 2 for terrain variety.
- Vehicles seem to take a lot of damage faster than in previous Halo games, especially the Scorpion tank.
- Doesn't seem to have the atmosphere of Halo CE, 2, ODST, or Reach. Closer to 3 and 4 atmosphere.

I think I'd give it a 7.5 out of 10, tough to say how the replay value compares to the other games, I'll know for sure in a year or two from now.

Dec 10, 2021
Visit site
I've heard a lot about this game,,, and am trying my best to stay away from people reviews and am also aiming to get mine next week in order to have my own better experience towards it....

Dec 11, 2021
Visit site
I think Halo Infinite works well in Infinite. The multiplayer is very good. I downloaded the campaign and I haven't played it yet and I can't make any comments about it. However, it has done well in my opinion that Infinite is really the best Halo game in a long time There are valid criticisms though. Also I noticed that a lot of features are coming after launch, progress I personally don't talk much about progress. I care that the game is mechanically excellent. However, even if I'm not interested in that, I'm wondering how wrong the Xbox's IP is in its multiplayer and monetization structure. The underlying mechanics are there but there are small, annoying issues that are perplexing (eg dumb playlists don't let you queue just for Slayer)

Dec 13, 2021
Visit site
Here are the Pros and Cons for it

Pros

• The ultimate Halo sandbox
  • Tight, satisfying gunplay
  • Stunningly well-designed stages
  • Loads of memorable moments

Cons

• Player progression still needs work
  • Limited maps, modes, and playlist options

Dec 14, 2021
Visit site
Nobody knows. Microsoft's first release of a Halo game has been met with a lot of skepticism and fervor from the gamers, as the company is undecided about what they want to do for their future releases. Personally, I think that this will be deemed as a success just as long as it doesn't totally embarrass Microsoft by being compared to Bungie's old games, but other people have pointed out that, if it does succeed monetarily-wise by selling enough copies or giving us at least one expansion pack worth paying for/lives up to its predecessor - then it'll be considered a huge victory for them instead.

Microsoft's first release of a Halo game
What?
Microsoft released every Halo game for the past 20 years, didn't they?

met with a lot of skepticism and fervor from the gamers
Where are you getting this stuff?
The new long-term Halo dev 343 has released about a Halo game per year for the last 10 years, generally to pretty good reception from the couple of big ones I checked.

it'll be considered a huge victory
You mean like the many other victories over the past 10 or 20 years? Or do you know of some extra-special reward planned for this game?

Reactions: Withywarlock
Just started playing this yesterday, and I am enjoying it so far.

I am not sure how I feel about the open world aspect. I haven't played a classic Ubisoft 'Do these optional things on the map' game for a very long time, so even though i'm not burnt out on those game mechanics, I do just seem them as play time buffers.

I wasn't able to play Halo 5 due to it not being on PC, so feel like I have missed out on some of the story and was googling 'What happened to X character in Halo 5' to try and catch up.

I think the open world aspect is fun but there is a weird experience that I've had where the game plays like Halo, looks like Halo, but but doesn't feel like Halo in the atmospheric sense. I think Halo Infinite hits a lot of the necessary points, and the gameplay is excellent. Still, the atmosphere just isn't there. I get the feeling that I'm not playing a Halo game to some extent.

But I think there is an interesting consideration in that perhaps evolving and moving forward is necessary to some extent. I think the open world (there are other contributing factors too) makes it feel distinctly like a different game, but that may be a good thing depending on your perspective. They managed to make the game* play great but with a different feel and playstyle, and maybe that is a good thing. Still, as someone who considers the original Trilogy some of the best FPS games of all time, I'm fairly torn on the subject.

Last edited:
Reactions: Brian Boru

TRENDING THREADS