PCG Article Intel begins outfitting its state of the art Irish production facility

"The company's $7B Fab 34 construction project in Leixlip, Ireland has entered the tool outfitting stage which represents a significant milestone on the way to beginning production in 2023."

Also:

"In addition to its Ireland expansion, the company is working on expanding production at its Oregon, New Mexico and Arizona facilities. That’s just the start. Intel is also planning a new $7B manufacturing facility in Penang, Malaysia and just days ago, it announced the construction of two $20B facilities in Ohio....(as) US companies including Intel, AMD and Nvidia among others are pushing for congress to approve funding for the CHIPS Act, which would put $52 billion toward domestic semiconductor production."

Intel is addressing the shortage in a major way, as are some other companies. I'm guessing that some time in 2023 the shortage is going to be over and by 2025 there will be articles about over-supply and price wars.

The good thing about Intel doing so much is that they now make GPU's as well. Even though they are currently TSMC like everyone else, you have to think they plan to move that in-house as soon as possible. Then they can really capitalize on the GPU shortage in a big way. Intel could get a big market share starting next year because they might be the only brand readily available.

Reactions: Brian Boru
from what I've heard, they're nowhere near being on par with Nvidia and AMD
It would be amazing if they were. You don't just build the facility, install the gear, and start cranking out top-tier product. It will take a long time for the experience to become baked-in expertise.

Hopefully by the time the hardware has matured, the drivers will also be up to snuff.

Devs will be thrilled, a 3rd tech layer to optimize for! Roll on DX13…

hopefully the shortage comes to an end for the big GPUs
I'm still seeing 2023 for a general return to MSRP. Hopefully the 40XX and AMD equiv which will be out by then will have nerfed their mining usefulness.

It would be amazing if they were. You don't just build the facility, install the gear, and start cranking out top-tier product. It will take a long time for the experience to become baked-in expertise.

Hopefully by the time the hardware has matured, the drivers will also be up to snuff.

Devs will be thrilled, a 3rd tech layer to optimize for! Roll on DX13…
I hope you're right about that. But it seems like I heard Intel isn't shooting for the high-end demographic with their GPUs. They definitely aren't to begin with, at least. If they don't want to fail miserably, they'll have to cut out their niche and offer something at a great price for people who don't want to spend their life savings on a video card.

I'm still seeing 2023 for a general return to MSRP. Hopefully the 40XX and AMD equiv which will be out by then will have nerfed their mining usefulness.
Yeah, you're probably right about 2023. I was really hoping the earlier rumors about the spring of 2022 were going to pan out. But it's not looking that way.

Intel is making GPUs now, but from what I've heard, they're nowhere near being on par with Nvidia and AMD's offerings. This is a good step, but hopefully the shortage comes to an end for the big GPUs, too. It's getting very old when you can't even get a GPU for less than twice MSRP.

The Intel GPU's are reported to be around the performance of the Nvidia 3070. That's pretty good, to me.