Question If you could live inside a game, which one would you choose?

Brian Boru

In most game worlds, you'd be dead in less than 5 minutes
Yeah, I'm not going to go with They are Billions either!

Microsoft Flight Sim should be a nice choice, get to see the world at my own pace, with loads of planes to pick from.

Far Cry 5 would be good, if I could hop on a quad and get out of Hope County sharpish. Spectacular varied countryside—but I'd want to hang onto my Spas shotgun, the wildlife can be …well, wild. Maybe Mary Mae would come along for the ride :D

Jan 14, 2020
Microsoft Flight Sim should be a nice choice, get to see the world at my own pace, with loads of planes to pick from.
You must be a far better pilot than I am. My first flight ended with the plane breaking up in the air (due to excessive speed) about 5 miles from the airport. My second flight ended when I crashed upside down in my neighbor's yard while trying to take a screenshot of my house.

Aug 8, 2020
In most game worlds, you'd be dead in less than 5 minutes after waking up in the morning, so I'm going to go with Farming Simulator or maybe Car Mechanic Simulator--I'm assuming I get to do what I do in the games. Game Dev Tycoon would be another good choice.
Imagine choosing GTA 5 and getting obliterated by a car driven by a maniacal player character within 5 minutes of living there :ROFLMAO:

Jan 14, 2020
Far Cry 5 would be good, if I could hop on a quad and get out of Hope County sharpish. Spectacular varied countryside—but I'd want to hang onto my Spas shotgun, the wildlife can be …well, wild. Maybe Mary Mae would come along for the ride :D
I'd pay good money to watch this happen in real life. You are going to be chased by animals and people and planes. Would be pure adrenaline. If you didn't find a vehicle very quickly, you'd have no chance. I'm assuming that, as in the game, all vehicles have their keys left in them. If not you're toast. But it just depends on how much of the game world carries over to this world. Can you take a couple of headshots and survive? And is there anything outside of Hope County? I think my final judgement on this would be that Hope County is all there is. You can steal a vehicle, but you can't actually get anywhere.

We need an official ruling on this. @vishnu_raj_c Can @Brian Boru start in the game world of his choice, but then leave it immediately? Seems kind of like cheating. Plus, I think he's planning on kidnapping some yokel woman. We need to *** this in the bud, as Andy Griffith would say.

Also, do you have more than one life? If the game is not a roguelike, do you get to take advantage of that fact and respawn as many times as you want? Hmm, that could change my answer.

Edit: Andy Griffith would be embarrassed to have his phrase bleeped. No idea what's wrong with that word lol

Brian Boru

My first flight … My second flight
Oh dear… but chin and joystick up, your third flight will last long enough to make it to the OOF thread runway.

far better pilot
If someone could rustle up a quick crow shooting simulator, I'll be your alpha tester. Of course, if another tester is really macho, I could wait for the beta…

In the interests of not a non-sequitur, if there's one thing I've learned from those squawking badstars, it's how to use them thar wings. Zed-grade—Zade-gred?— pilots know the flaps-up and flaps-down moves, but haven't quite grasped they're for storing in hangars. Paid grade—pade-graid?—pilots know it goes flaps up, flaps down… flaps up, flaps down… flaps up, flaps down… flaps up, flaps down…
Aside: thank you copy-paste for your service to aviation—you could've kept going to Australia with minimum effort. But shh, that's Cloud-grade… :cool:

• Haha
Reactions: ZedClampet
Sep 10, 2020
Well if you're all so serious about this question :p I think I'll go with Sims.
Without some crazy mods please! Just the normal game. I'd be a somewhat happy sim, living my life and I wouldn't even know I'm controlled by someone else.

Brian Boru

I'd pay good money to watch this happen in real life
Can anyone run up a quick Rubber Necking Simulator?

you'd have no chance
Now hang on there a freakin' New York minute. Not everyone is Zed-grade, ya know?

chased by animals and people and planes
For petting, autographs and pilots looking for tips. Big deal, story of my life.

Can you take a couple of headshots and survive?
Headshots? We don't need no gosh-darned liberal headshots! Here in big sky country, we know how to duck. Yes, we also know how to quack, that's not what I meant. You gotta be able to duck around here if you live near any of the airports—have you seen those Zed-grades trying to land or take off?

I think my final judgement on this would be that Hope County is all there is
Liberal judge, hah, waddayaknow? One night at Rye's Aviation and you think you've seen the world, do ya?

Let me wake you up to the New Dawn, where my good friend Roger Cadoret—the guy with the speech impediment known as a nose—has placed La Grosse Patate at my disposal whenever I need it. Maybe I'll try Alcatraz after all…

is there anything outside of Hope County?
Aircraft Carrier
Alcatraz
Navajo Bridge
Nuclear Plant
Plane Wreck site
Space Station crash Site
Theme Park
Yawn… need I go on? Hmm yeah, Alcatraz does look the pick.

kidnapping some yokel woman
Oh man, your spelling! It's lo-key fochrisakes.
No napping the kid here, we're talking a queue of enthusiasts. As one says "The only thing I'm huntin' today is trouser snake."

No idea what's wrong with that word
All is revealed in an episode of *** and Tuck.

Jan 14, 2020
P.S. Worst place to show up would be Doom.
Nah, Ark: Survival Evolved is a contender. I survived a good amount of time in every Doom game I played before going down. In Ark, I spawned in and was eaten by a dinosaur in under 10 seconds. I was meeting a friend in the southwest corner and accidentally spawned in the southeast corner. It took half-a-dozen tries just to make it off the beach and half-a-dozen more to quit the game, remake a character and spawn in the right spot, after which I died immediately to a different type of dinosaur. No weapons, no clothes. Just death. Over and over.

But Agony would probably win. After all, you are in Hell, and every demon wants a piece of you. And these demons can't be slaughtered in the hundreds. If they find you, you don't die. You get much, much worse for as long as Hell will exist.

So I've been overthinking this for a while and have a few thoughts.

First of all, will NPCs become self-aware? Meaning you can interact with them beyond the two preprogrammed lines most of them have. If not, you're probably going to miss actual human interaction. I mean if none of you cared for human interaction you wouldn't be on a forum.
If NPCs do suddenly get conscious and fully self-aware, that could obviously lead to a lot of problems as well, depending on the game.

What happens to time? Almost every game with a day/night cycle takes between 15-60 minutes per day, but if you live within it I'd assume for you the days would be 24 hours.
Similarly, crafting wouldn't be just opening a menu and instantly getting whatever you pick, you'll have to actually put in the work.
Also, I'm going to assume that the world keeps going. A lot of games only show what happens over the span of several years at most. If you're going to live in such a world, you'll experience what happens after the end of the game.

Also, @ZedClampet asked a good question about death. You probably wouldn't want to be immortal, so you'll have to keep that in mind in your answer.

As for his question about whether you could leave the area of the game, I'd say it depends on the game. If going outside of the area of the game means you basically ignore what the game is about, you aren't really living in the game.

So let's take Stardew Valley for example.

If the NPCs become self-aware, one of the issues is that the economy does not make sense at all. You can find a note in the game that mentions that the hourly wage for working at Joja Mart is 5/hour. A single pizza costs 600. A single leek you can find growing in the wild can be sold for 60.
Also, half the NPCs are dicks, so there's that.

Regarding time, assuming that every in game minute takes an actual minute, things would obviously take a lot longer than if you're just playing the game, though still faster than most stuff in real life.
What's worse is that the war that's mentioned in the game might actually reach Stardew Valley if you live in it.

The mine would probably be a lot more dangerous. If you play the game you're always conveniently found by someone, but if you're living in the world there would be no guarantee you wouldn't die in there.

I'd also say you couldn't just leave the area of the game, as there is no way to know what that would be like.

Jan 14, 2020
So I've been overthinking this for a while and have a few thoughts.

First of all, will NPCs become self-aware? Meaning you can interact with them beyond the two preprogrammed lines most of them have. If not, you're probably going to miss actual human interaction. I mean if none of you cared for human interaction you wouldn't be on a forum.
If NPCs do suddenly get conscious and fully self-aware, that could obviously lead to a lot of problems as well, depending on the game.

What happens to time? Almost every game with a day/night cycle takes between 15-60 minutes per day, but if you live within it I'd assume for you the days would be 24 hours.
Similarly, crafting wouldn't be just opening a menu and instantly getting whatever you pick, you'll have to actually put in the work.
Also, I'm going to assume that the world keeps going. A lot of games only show what happens over the span of several years at most. If you're going to live in such a world, you'll experience what happens after the end of the game.

Also, @ZedClampet asked a good question about death. You probably wouldn't want to be immortal, so you'll have to keep that in mind in your answer.

As for his question about whether you could leave the area of the game, I'd say it depends on the game. If going outside of the area of the game means you basically ignore what the game is about, you aren't really living in the game.
Also, who are you when you go into the game world? If I go into Witcher 3, am I Geralt or am I Zed, who's 55 and has serious back problems?

And can I mod the game world before I enter it?

Also, who are you when you go into the game world? If I go into Witcher 3, am I Geralt or am I Zed, who's 55 and has serious back problems?

And can I mod the game world before I enter it?
I think that it's interesting to find an answer both for when you have to be yourself and when you can be anyone you'd like in a game and you could just download any knowledge necessary Matrix style.

What kind of mods did you have in mind?

Brian Boru

I've been overthinking this for a while
That you have brother, that you have :D

A lot of games only show what happens over the span of several years at most
Good point, guess I should plump for Civilization after all—Future era please, where the game can keep going as long as you want.

am I Geralt or am I Zed
Yeah, that would determine whether you have a bath or a shower!

• Haha
Reactions: mainer and Pifanjr

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts