Solved I need help understanding G-Sync/Freesync

Jan 20, 2020
Visit site
Hi,

I don't think I fully understand this technology. I have a Freesync 1440p 144hz monitor. My gpu is the rtx 2080 super. In the nvidia control panel I have G-sync on for both fullscreen and windowed. Freesync is also turned on in the monitor settings.

The games I'm playing at the moment are Control and The Outer Worlds (Microsoft store). Vsync is off in the game's graphics settings. The FPS is capped at 60FPS but screen tearing is gone. Why has the FPS now capped? If I turn off vsync in the control panel but leave Gsync on, the fps goes back 90-100 FPS however screen tearing comes back.

Strange thing is this doesn't happen in Dota 2, my FPS is at 144.

Am I missing something here?

Regards

EazeeOne23

Solution
Is your monitor's refresh rate actually set to 144hz in the Nvidia control panel? or is it set to 60hz?

Under Change Resolution in Nvidia control panel.

Could you post a screenshot of your Change Resolution and the Set Up Gsync panels in the Nvidia control panel? e.g. via Imgur.
Is your monitor's refresh rate actually set to 144hz in the Nvidia control panel? or is it set to 60hz?

Could you post a screenshot of your Change Resolution and the Set Up Gsync panels in the Nvidia control panel? e.g. via Imgur.

Solution
Jan 20, 2020
Visit site

I can't believe I made such a rookie mistake :eek:. Widows Display settings has it set 144hz so I assumed the nvidia control panel would be the same although this completely escaped my eye.

Thanks, all sorted now. Gosh, TheOuter Worlds looks so amazing at 100 fps with no screen tearing

• Love
Reactions: Oussebon
Glad it was a straightforward fix! And it's pretty easy to miss tbh, since there's a little fiddling on different config pages/panels to deal with.

You may eventually find yourself using something like MSI Afterburner and the included RTSS to cap frames to something like 141 rather than using vsync in the control panel. Some games can get a bit stuttery with vsync even where framerate appears to be a smooth, capped maximum. But I suppose no need to mess around with that until/unless you find you have an issue with it.

Reactions: EazeeOne23

TRENDING THREADS