Question How should I spend My birthday Money to get the best value

Jul 4, 2021
Visit site
I estimate I'm gonna get around £200 or more for my birthday. My current CPU is an i5 3340 which is pretty terrible and I was thinking of buying an I7 3770k as it is the best CPU I can buy for my motherboard. Would it be worth it to buy a whole new motherboard plus CPU instead? My GPU is a 1060 3gb so I thought the i7 3770k may be a good match with it, however I am also thinking of upgrading my GPU very soon so I am not really sure. Any help at all is appreciated. Thanks

Save it and wait till you can pick up a new chip/board/ram combo. That chip would just be a waste of money as an upgrade at this point, unless of course you can get it for free then by all means, but don't buy it.

Get the chip upgrade first then down the road change the card and you should be good for another 6+ years. A budget of 300-400 should get you a nice set up, just watch for sales.
This ^^

Yep, what he said.

I was thinking of buying an I7 3770k
That CPU is ~9 years old now, so it wouldn't be an 'upgrade'—the "3" in the model name means 3rd Gen, the i7 is now in 11th Gen. Two immediate drawbacks of the i7 3:
Can't use the current RAM standard DDR4, only the old DDR3;
Can't upgrade to Windows 11—currently needs i7 8, altho that may drop a little but not to i7 3.

My GPU is a 1060 3gb
I have 1060 6gb with an i7 7 and it runs games 'fine'—latest release I've played is probably Far Cry New Dawn and I'm so happy with all the pink :D

Re "fine": I can't tell you what FPS etc as I don't obsess about such—it's enough for me if I have a stable enjoyable playing experience at high settings. Some modern games need more than 3gb as far as I know, so check out specs before you buy a game.

I am also thinking of upgrading my GPU very soon
Not gonna happen unfortunately, not "very soon" anyway—assuming you have to buy it. Prices are roughly 2-3x what they were—you could probably sell your 1060 now for more than you paid for it years ago!

There are some signs prices might be on the way back down, but it's really volatile at the moment. If you're interested, keep an eye on this thread:

ASRock B560M PRO4 £99.98

https://www.scan.co.uk/products/int...s-12-threads-29ghz-43ghz-turbo-12mb-cache-65w
Intel Core i5 10400F £129.98

https://www.ebuyer.com/1139772-klev...z-powerful-enhanced-desktop-kd48gu880-32a160u
KLEVV BOLT X 16GB (8GB x 2) DDR4 3200Mhz CL16 £69.15

Total: £299 inc VAT

Review of that cpu w/benchmarks.

Jul 5, 2021
Visit site
I estimate I'm gonna get around £200 or more for my birthday. My current CPU is an i5 3340 which is pretty terrible and I was thinking of buying an I7 3770k as it is the best CPU I can buy for my motherboard. Would it be worth it to buy a whole new motherboard plus CPU instead? My GPU is a 1060 3gb so I thought the i7 3770k may be a good match with it, however I am also thinking of upgrading my GPU very soon so I am not really sure. Any help at all is appreciated. Thanks
maybe buying buy i7 3770k is a good thing

TRENDING THREADS