HELP NEEDED - Upgrade graphic card on Lenovo IdeaCentre 3 071MB05

Nov 19, 2022
Visit site
Hello everyone,

Before starting, i would like to say thank you to everyone/anyone who will read and help my son and me resolve our issue.

My son has a tower Lenovo IdeaCentre 3 071MB05.
Processor Intel Pentium Gold G6400
Frequency 4.0 GHz
Cache 4 MB
Memory type DDR4-2666
Integrated graphic card UHD 610
Memory 8 Go RAM

My son would like to upgrade the graphic card to a NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 1660.

Do you think it is feasible?
If yes, do we need to upgrade the RAM and the SSD also, with the likes of
RAM Crucial 32GB DDR4-2666 UDIMM
SSD Crucial P5 Plus 500GB PCIe M.2 2280SS Gaming SSD

Are we missing something?
Is it totally impossible?

Many thanks in advance for your assistance.

Kind regards;

BibiLaHulpe

Hi and welcome.

If its this model, I'm sorry to tell you that I dont believe its possible to use a GTX 1660. The 180 or 260 Watt power supply included with the system probably doesnt have the right power connectors. Even if it did it would be pushing the limits of the 260 watt version to run, and the 180 W version would almost certainly not run it long term. Not to mention you would only have space for a low profile model of card, although those are available.

It also has a proprietry power supply, meaning its not possible to replace it with a better off the shelf part.

You may be able to fit something like a GT 1030 LP

It would be an improvement on the integrated graphics currently in there and ok for some esports games.

An SSD and extra 8GB of RAM would certainly help it feel snappier, I wouldnt spend out on 32 GB though as I doubt any games that are possible to play on it would see any benefit over 16GB.

Reactions: Alm and Brian Boru
Welcome to the forum :)

What games does son want to play?
What is your budget?

As Kaamos has indicated, you are very likely better off not spending any money on this machine, and instead getting, or saving for, a PC which will meet the needs of games he wants to play.

This is for building rather than buying, but may also help:

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts