GPU 3D Usage always minimally at 30-45%.... is that normal??

Jan 21, 2024
Visit site
I have a 3070ti, 64 gigs of ram, and a 5950x, and then I am hooked up to a 3440x1440p screen as a main, with a 1920x1080 as a secondary and whenever I open task manager, even when nothing is on the screen, my GPU usage will be between 35-45% usage, with nothing other than SignalRGB running, and even when I close it, it doesnt change... is that abnormal? or is that a normal thing

Reactions: ZedClampet
for games, use msi afterburner osd to read gpu usage in real time while playing, when you switch to task manager, the game is running in the background, and that's the reason for low usage.
but if it's 30-45% in idle, with no game running, try to reinstall the drivers. use the nvidia cleaner to get rid of the old ones first tho. it's definitely way too much, some light games don't even use this much gpu.

I have a 3070ti, 64 gigs of ram, and a 5950x, and then I am hooked up to a 3440x1440p screen as a main, with a 1920x1080 as a secondary and whenever I open task manager, even when nothing is on the screen, my GPU usage will be between 35-45% usage, with nothing other than SignalRGB running, and even when I close it, it doesnt change... is that abnormal? or is that a normal thing
This is perfectly normal. You will always be using your GPU if you have the 5950x because it doesn't have integrated graphics, so anything showing up on your screen (and many things that have been minimized and/or running in the background) will be using your GPU.

Since your CPU doesn't do graphics at all, you may want to make sure that you always completely close as much down as possible before playing a game.

You can download tools to check how much different programs continue to use your GPU while minimized, if that helps.

Last edited:
Reactions: Brian Boru
Jan 21, 2024
Visit site
This is perfectly normal. You will always be using your GPU if you have the 5950x because it doesn't have integrated graphics, so anything showing up on your screen (and many things that have been minimized and/or running in the background) will be using your GPU.

Since your CPU doesn't do graphics at all, you may want to make sure that you always completely close as much down as possible before playing a game.

You can download tools to check how much different programs continue to use your GPU while minimized, if that helps.
Gotcha thanks!

what is your power draw ? a 3070ti should not exceed 20w in idle, I'm afraid at 30-45% you're easily hitting +100w on that card

Reactions: Brian Boru

TRENDING THREADS