God of War - Put your experiences here

Page 2 - Love gaming? Join the PC Gamer community to share that passion with gamers all around the world!
No, only beat 4 of the Valkyries. 3/4 in Midgard except the one in the mountain, and the one in Alfheim. Just checked. I think the ones I tried all shared at least some moves.

As I said I would probably have gone back for at least some of the rest as the fights were fun, but Elden Ring came out so I probably wont play it again.

Steam says I got 67% achievements, that's more then I get in most games.

No, only beat 4 of the Valkyries. 3/4 in Midgard except the one in the mountain, and the one in Alfheim. Just checked. I think the ones I tried all shared at least some moves.

As I said I would probably have gone back for at least some of the rest as the fights were fun, but Elden Ring came out so I probably wont play it again.

Steam says I got 67% achievements, that's more then I get in most games.
Yeah I think I had about 89% on Labors when I got to 99% completion, with just the Queen remaining for 100%. I do have a few treasure maps left to pursue though. I think the Labors count for a lot of the achievements though.

Reactions: Kaamos_Llama
It's nice, but it doesn't really capture the brutality aspect of old Gow Games.
I don't get get why Santa Monica studios don't at least remaster the old trilogy, they would make a lot of money!
Someone just figured out how to play Gow3 on PS3 emulator with ray tracing in 8k resolution:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zMaN6Zzgfrc&t=531s
I don't feel the older titles captured more brutality, and I don't think they were as immersive in gameplay or story. Part of what kills the old titles for me is the isometric view, which makes Kratos look more tiny than brutal. In fact the scene you showed also has him platforming up the monster at one point, at which point TR comes to mind. The arcade stats plastered onscreen don't exactly lend any realism either, quite the opposite. Another thing I didn't like was the QTE, which was horribly implemented.

There's also the fact that GoW 4 outsold GoW 1, 2, & 3 combined, so there's very little incentive for them to dump more money into the old titles. Clearly the fanbase has voiced their opinion on what formula they like the most, and it isn't the old stuff. With consoles now capable of high end graphics and 4K, isometric views and the fixed camera angles such games use are quickly becoming outdated. In my opinion, it's about time that happened, because consoles for far too long were always slowing down progress.

Now that the core GoW fanbase has had a taste of our hero fighting in a more real looking, up close 3D world, I think a mere remaster of the old games wouldn't be enough. They'd have to be completely remade from the ground up, with the new style, and that would be like making a whole new game. For this reason, I think they are better off leaving well enough alone, and continue to develop the new games just as they have. I personally can't wait to play Ragnarok, it looks like it's going to be every bit as good as 4.

Last edited:
Reactions: Brian Boru
Dec 10, 2021
Visit site
I don't feel the older titles captured more brutality, and I don't think they were as immersive in gameplay or story. Part of what kills the old titles for me is the isometric view, which makes Kratos look more tiny than brutal. In fact the scene you showed also has him platforming up the monster at one point, at which point TR comes to mind. The arcade stats plastered onscreen don't exactly lend any realism either, quite the opposite. Another thing I didn't like was the QTE, which was horribly implemented.

There's also the fact that GoW 4 outsold GoW 1, 2, & 3 combined, so there's very little incentive for them to dump more money into the old titles. Clearly the fanbase has voiced their opinion on what formula they like the most, and it isn't the old stuff. With consoles now capable of high end graphics and 4K, isometric views and the fixed camera angles such games use are quickly becoming outdated. In my opinion, it's about time that happened, because consoles for far too long were always slowing down progress.

Now that the core GoW fanbase has had a taste of our hero fighting in a more real looking, up close 3D world, I think a mere remaster of the old games wouldn't be enough. They'd have to be completely remade from the ground up, with the new style, and that would be like making a whole new game. For this reason, I think they are better off leaving well enough alone, and continue to develop the new games just as they have. I personally can't wait to play Ragnarok, it looks like it's going to be every bit as good as 4.

yeah, I can't wait for Ragnarok..but if they decide to make a remaster of old games with new camera and style the combat system will be not the same anymore.
Gow's mithical world was enhanced by old Camera, but they still can make sections with a closer look to Kratos... not only during cutscenes.
The Gore in Gow 4 it's reduced a lot ....Gow 2 and 3 are a lot funnier to play, there are plenty of comments of people saying they miss that aspect in the new Gow, even if they still enjoy it.
I can't see anymore blue or green bloods...they reached perfection with Gow 2 and Gow 3 when we speak about Gameplay...there is nothing better.

Ragnarok will be a cross-platform title, after that Santa Monica should make a choice about new titles...for a truly next-gen God of War and a mix of Gow 3 and Gow4 would be appreciated mainly for the Combat system.

...they reached perfection with Gow 2 and Gow 3 when we speak about Gameplay...there is nothing better.
I can't agree at all with that. GoW 3 may have approached the look of 4 slightly with it's camera angle, but the QTE is so bad after trying the remastered version on my friend's PS4, I knew I wouldn't want to buy or play it. The only thing through all of GoW 4 that was upsetting to me was the difficulty of beating the Valkyrie Queen, but in all honesty, I was up late and wasn't using the best gear, tactics, or runics. I've also always hated games that use that gimmicky onscreen stat style akin to fighter gamers. Makes them feel like cheap value games to me instead of being immersive. That is all after thinking GoW 3 remastered looked pretty cool when my friend was playing it, but after seeing and playing GoW 4, there's no other GoW made yet to me that compares. You don't get to 15 mill in sales (vs 14 mill for 1,2,3 combined) by being a bad product.

To each their own though, despite the sales clearly being dominated by GoW 4, I get that some don't like it as much, why I don't know, but that's the nature of free will. And btw, it wouldn't be a remaster if they did the old games with the new camera and style, it would definitely be a remake, and not one that would be cost effective I think.

Last edited:
Dec 10, 2021
Visit site
I can't agree at all with that. GoW 3 may have approached the look of 4 slightly with it's camera angle, but the QTE is so bad after trying the remastered version on my friend's PS4, I knew I wouldn't want to buy or play it. The only thing through all of GoW 4 that was upsetting to me was the difficulty of beating the Valkyrie Queen, but in all honesty, I was up late and wasn't using the best gear, tactics, or runics. I've also always hated games that use that gimmicky onscreen stat style akin to fighter gamers. Makes them feel like cheap value games to me instead of being immersive. That is all after thinking GoW 3 remastered looked pretty cool when my friend was playing it, but after seeing and playing GoW 4, there's no other GoW made yet to me that compares. You don't get to 15 mill in sales (vs 14 mill for 1,2,3 combined) by being a bad product.

To each their own though, despite the sales clearly being dominated by GoW 4, I get that some don't like it as much, why I don't know, but that's the nature of free will. And btw, it wouldn't be a remaster if they did the old games with the new camera and style, it would definitely be a remake, and not one that would be cost effective I think.

I think that you should have played the old Gows before to appreciate more what Santa Monica studios was able to achieve on PS2 and PS3 pushing the Hardware to his very limits.
Said that, I respect your opinion, but the real Kratos is the Spartan guy that kill every gods of Olympus to get revenge and this aspect it's completely lost in the new title.
We have a new camera and graphic engine, and a nice relation between father and son....sure, but about gameplay I still think they need to get something better for a truly next-gen Gow.

Reactions: Kaamos_Llama
I think that you should have played the old Gows before to appreciate more what Santa Monica studios was able to achieve on PS2 and PS3 pushing the Hardware to his very limits.
Said that, I respect your opinion, but the real Kratos is the Spartan guy that kill every gods of Olympus to get revenge and this aspect it's completely lost in the new title.
We have a new camera and graphic engine, and a nice relation between father and son....sure, but about gameplay I still think they need to get something better for a truly next-gen Gow.
I don't care to play 1 and 2, besides being restricted to gamepads, a control device that is very antiquated and clumsy to use, as I also said I don't care for fixed camera angle games that are far more limited in what you can do gameplay wise. This is why you have the platforming during combat, the constant QTEs, and the game auto whisking you to an attack location when you hit the appropriate button you're prompted to. That is FAR too arcade and silly for my tastes.

You seem to be mostly disliking the lack of Kratos' brutality though, and in doing so, I think are missing one of the best points of the GoW 4 story. As was said, Kratos made a deal with Athena to grant him those brutal powers. Now that he has aged, he has a lot to consider, mainly how it's affecting his son, and himself. He's showing regret for making that deal, and a lot of it has to do with the talks with Mimir and Freya, whom are also vital parts of the story being told. You can still be brutal AND humane though.

A LOT of people are bitter and angry when they're young, only to regret it when they grow old. GoW 4 conveys that very well, which is why the story and Kratos are so relatable. No, it's not just the new style that makes GoW 4 sell so well, it's the story and characters. It's a beautifully crafted game, the best so far in the series for all those reasons. Make no mistake about it though, Kratos can still bring the brutality. It's the ability to weave that in with the sensibility of how self destructive it is that's the genius here, and a needed change I think.

Last edited:
May 30, 2022
Visit site
I love the god of war series of games because the main character deals very harshly with the gods and takes revenge, it looks spectacular.

TRENDING THREADS