GIGABYTE G32QC First Impressions Mini Review

spvtnik1

Community Contributor
Jan 13, 2020
I've been gaming on a new TN 1080p (Asus ROG PG28Q) for the last couple years, but since I upgraded to a new rig, I've decided it's time for a new viewport.

I ordered the Gigabyte G32QC from Best Buy. I've been really happy with their online ordering and store pick-up experience.

First off, this thing is a beast-o. I've gamed with a 32" monitor in front of my face but it was almost exclusively while playing ARMA and that was nearly 10 years ago. Suffice to say, a 32" monitor, even at 1440p, might just be a little too much for some. I sit about 1.5 to 2 feet from my monitor, and I did find myself kind of looking around the edges of the screen at times, even in game. If you sit too far away, though, the 1500R curve does make a bit of a pinch in the image. I did not really see any advantage to having the curve on this monitor... I think it would make more sense with an ultra-wide.

The build quality is solid. Some reviewers complain about the wobbling, but unless you're hammering away on your keyboard or steamrolling your mouse, it shouldn't be an issue if you have a decent surface. The adjustments on the stand are adequate.

Going from a TN to this VA is quite a leap. The colors are stunning. The panel is very bright and things like sun-rays and reflections of light in water really shine. Although extended web browsing could be strainful. The refresh rate is high enough that I didn't really notice any black smudging or ghosting. Any monitor will ghost if you move media around on it fast enough, and most youtubers are recording at 60fps tops, so take what you see in their videos with a grain of salt. G-Sync does work and results in no tearing. There were some night scenes where black crush became apparent and the colors were so dark that the details and higlights of dark objects sort of got washed out. (that's all in AC:V)

The biggest noticeable difference between the TN and the VA (besides color) is that I get a lot of pixel-to-pixel ghosting while moving and rotating the camera in game. It is most noticeable where the anti-aliasing would be taking place, like on the edges of objects (especially grass blades)**. This might also just be the engine for Assassin's Creed: Valhalla, and higher render resolutions and more anti-aliasing can alleviate it... but I've noticed it before in other games (RDR2). It was just much more pronounced on the VA than on the TN. It wasn't quite as bad in GTA V but it was still noticeable.

Not that it really matters, there is one single dead pixel on the panel in the lower left. I'm going to return the unit for a full refund. If not for the dead pixel, I may be tempted to keep it, but I think a 27" IPS is going to be the better option for me. On the other hand, I have a feeling this monitor would really shine with one of the new consoles connected to it.

** (edit) Maybe I'm crazy, but I I think it could be possible this is caused by a noise filter.

Last edited:
Reactions: Kaamos_Llama

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts