Gaming setup ~$2000 - what do you think?

Page 2 - Love gaming? Join the PC Gamer community to share that passion with gamers all around the world!

Inspireless Llama

Community Contributor
From what I've been told the thing with liquid coolers is that their idle temp is higher than air, the max is lower. On not sure if that's true tho.

Besides that what I notice from my aio, i don't really hear the pump. Also, my fans spin based on the speed of the liquid, not on the actual cpu temp.

I mean, even when maintenance isn't really different in either, still in case of AIO cooling I'm paying more for something which is reported to be 8dB louder than the cheaper air alternative?

No, in the case of THAT AIO cooler, you'd be paying more for ... etc. Not in the case of AIO cooling in general. :) You could pick a different air cooler and find the reverse no doubt.

It depends on the model of AIO. And what fan curves are being used. And the rest of the system.

For instance, the Fractal Cooler you're talking about may have better compatibility with cases or certain RAM kits, or perhaps a system with it would have different GPU thermals than the D15/S since it's effectively adding fans to the intake/exhaust system of the case. I've not looked at it, but I expect it has its place.

You're buying a 9900k, and potentially going for 'light overclocking'. The lightest OC you can reasonably do on a 9900k is 5GHz all-core - 5GHz being what it boosts to on 2 of its 8 cores at stock, anyway, so the OC is just bringing the rest of the cores up to the 1 or 2 core boost level. You'd probably want to try pushing past 5GHz to 5.1, maybe 5.2GHz.

On an open-air test bench with an NH D15S specifically, eteknix found their 9900k went to 84 degrees at 5GHz all-core.
Noting that this is an open air test bench, not an enclosed case.

Which is why for a 9900k, with an overclock, I'd start looking at liquid cooling over an NH D15S. And probably even over the NH D15.

In the GN review, the Arctic Liquid Freezer II kept a 3950x OCed (a fair analogy to the 9900k OCed n power consumption at least) 6 degrees cooler than the NH D15 (non-S) when noise normalised to 35 degrees. Which is difference worth noting.

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS