Favorite Lines from Entertainment

Brian Boru

King of Munster
Please share your fav bits from any of the pop media.

Mine is from the inimitable Monty Python, which I just tripped over again:

“Listen, strange women lying in ponds distributing swords is no basis for a system of government”

Opening Lines

It is a truth universally acknowledged, that a single man in posession of a good fortune, must be in want of a wife.
—Pride And Prejudice … Jane Austen

It was the day my grandmother exploded.
—The Crow Road … Iain Banks

Zloth

Community Contributor
"There is a hole in your mind."

"I was there at the dawn of the Third Age of Mankind..."

"There was a time when this whole quadrant belonged to us! What are we now? 12 worlds and a thousand monuments to past glories, living off memories and stories... selling trinkets. My god man, we've become a tourist attraction." (link)

And that's just from the pilot episode of Babylon 5. There are dozens of quotes every season that still give me chills.

P.S. Not to be confused with this thread:

Colif recites the entire script of Holy Grail (I almost could at one stage, I had to stop watching movie... if it wasn't ruined on YouTube I would watch it again. )

Okay, I won't... how about just one line:

Cut down all the trees in this forest.... with a herring
Camelot... its a silly place

Damn, sorry. I was meant to only do one. Hard to choose... what with the Holy Hand grenade and Castle Anthrax.

• Haha
Reactions: Brian Boru
I forget—was it a redwood forest?
not likely in UK.

She turned me into a newt.... I got better

There are lines that stick in mind from the Travelogue that ran before the movie in the theater, but only as it was made by Monty Python. Everything before movie was made by them... even the ads.. nothing was safe. I can't repeat what they said here though. Showing my age, I went and saw it with Dad.

they made all the intro movies for Meaning of Life too...

But I am getting off topic :)

Last edited:
  • Haha
Go and watch it again. Then have tea and biscuits. Well, maybe not biscuits...
I had to take a break from it - for about 30 years - as I had watched it too many times. I had the script which was just as silly as the movie (I guess this is obvious, but it was in a different way.)

Now its just a PDF
Which is probably just as well as my copy of book fell apart.

So I might be about right to watch it. I am clearly forgetting parts of it, which is a good thing as I knew it too well.

Aliens (1986)
Private Hudson: "Look, I'm telling ya, there's somethin' movin' and it ain't us!"​

The Silence of the Lambs (1991)
Buffalo Bill: "It puts the lotion on its skin or else it gets the hose again"​

The Hobbit (1937)
"In a hole in the ground, there lived a hobbit"​

TNG (S3E3)
Lieutenant Worf "Good Tea.........Nice House"
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SDrABWb9VIQ

This one from LOTR: The Return of the King is quite memorable to the point of me getting a bit misty in the eyes whenever I watch the scene. It is a great quote from the main hero of the triology, namely Samwise "Sam" Gamgee. I'm not saying that just because Tolkien mentions it in an interview, but because Sam goes above and beyond trying to help his friend Frodo and gives us the epitome of a good friendship.

"I can't carry it for you, but I can carry you"

Last edited:
  • Love

Zloth

Community Contributor
Well, why don't I just open up the old folder I used to use for signatures way back in the day when people would put quotes on their emails instead of company websites....

"Character is what you are in the dark." -- John in 'Buckaroo Banzi'

"Well what does she expect? You leave your navigator lying around, naturally somebody's gonna run over him." -- from "Deathrace 2000"

"There's meaning there but the meaning there doesn't really mean a thing." Third Eye, The Real Thing

"Every jumbled pile of person has a thinking part that wonders what the part that isn't thinking isn't thinking of." - They Might Be Giants, Where Your Eyes Don't Go
(Edge's grammar check says the first "isn't thinking" should be "thinking isn't!")

TRENDING THREADS