fan running 3000+ rpm

Jan 28, 2024
Visit site
One fan shows in BIOS running 3096 rpm?

I just got a new PC; was prebuilt so im assuming this should've shown up in the QA. I haven't gotten a new PC for 9 years so pardon not knowing new parts.

i technically see 10 seperate fans spinning in there. 3 on the bottom, 3 on the side, and 3 on top with one out the back. my fan profile in BIOS says CPU Fan, CPU OPT FAN, then CHA1-3 fans. all running abot 1k, but CHA1 is the 3k. thing is thats only listing 5 in the BIOS. assuming its considering those 3 connected fans as one?

I heard that the liquid cooling or something should be running max rpm at all time, but im not sure if this is that one? should I worry?
I can't tell what it SHOULD sound like because my last pc had the 2 case fans and thats it. its definitely sounding windy in here with the new one but doesnt sound any more loud than a small desk fan.

(sidenote: cpu fan is at 947 and CHA3 fan is at 761. is this too low? haven't had any heating problems so far with the small tests I've run at least)

(Using a NZXT H9 case if that helps.)

I have um...
3 intake fans on AIO
2 exhaust fans
3 fans on GPU
1 fan on PSU
1 chipset fan (But I don't count it as it came on motherboard, I can't as such replace it I don't think).
Yiz1OHu.jpg

I have 10 but I can only see so many in software
2Q0dIgu.jpeg

What are specs of PC?
You could have too many fans in that case

Lian LI should have copyrighted that design... so many copies now.

If you have an AIO, the software could be seeing the pump as a fan. My corsair AIO used to report fan speed, my current AIO doesn't.
it counts all 3 intake fans as one, on the AIO. It can't see them individually as they all use same header on motherboard. That could also be why you can't see all yours.

Are any attach to a fan hub? As it will see them all as one fan if they are... I have had that before. I had two in the roof of case running off a fan hub, they all ran same speeds

Try running this, it will train your fans, can be used to control a bunch of them. You can use it to stop them one at a time to identify them.

If you have an Nvidia GPU it can also control its fans as well. It doesn't see Radeon cards.

v0FPzb0.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Brian Boru
Jan 28, 2024
Visit site
I have um...
3 intake fans on AIO
2 exhaust fans
3 fans on GPU
1 fan on PSU
1 chipset fan (But I don't count it as it came on motherboard, I can't as such replace it I don't think).

I have 10 but I can only see so many in software

What are specs of PC?
You could have too many fans in that case

Lian LI should have copyrighted that design... so many copies now.

If you have an AIO, the software could be seeing the pump as a fan. My corsair AIO used to report fan speed, my current AIO doesn't.
it counts all 3 intake fans as one, on the AIO. It can't see them individually as they all use same header on motherboard. That could also be why you can't see all yours.

Are any attach to a fan hub? As it will see them all as one fan if they are... I have had that before. I had two in the roof of case running off a fan hub, they all ran same speeds

Try running this, it will train your fans, can be used to control a bunch of them. You can use it to stop them one at a time to identify them.

If you have an Nvidia GPU it can also control its fans as well. It doesn't see Radeon cards.
2087ce077bf2fa9b762e91efaf0c91726f997dbf.pnj

There's my specs; I have a driver for the RGB lian li fans and they say its goin about 600-700RPM. I checked the specs website for the processor cooling (deepcool) and says it only hits about500-2250. I don't think it has a dedicated driver to fiddle with to play with speeds itself, just the RGB of it and my RAM (asus aura)

When I downloaded the thing you suggested, my antivirus (AVG) said it could cause OS problems. Is that just cuz its a program that effects the hardware? Kinda afraid to mess with it too much.

Thanks for the help so far! I just don't wanna burn out my new PC already while it's sitting idle :sob:
(I'd contact the guys i bought it from if I could, but they're only open for short times during the week to call)

Last edited:
It should be okay, I normally get it off Github but that page I linked has a direct link to the page I get it from... Github owned by Microsoft now.

Probably won't see Radeon fan speeds anywhere apart from in Afterburner or Adrenalin
UhlGCAb.jpeg

2nd from bottom on left. You might need to add it to tracking, not sure if its there by default.
Adrenalin generally looks after the fans, but you can set a fan curve if you want... I did using Afterburner, as I prefer them to always run. keeps rest of PC cool.

So that is two fans.
You won't see Power supply fan speed ever. Rarely anyway, only some PSU have the ability to show it. Corsair ones don't in that model.

Good chance all 3 120mm fans on AIO all show as one.
Possible case fans attached to a hub on back of motherboard tray. Hard to tell without looking.

I have to go to sleep, its 5am... I look later. :)

Jan 28, 2024
Visit site
It should be okay, I normally get it off Github but that page I linked has a direct link to the page I get it from... Github owned by Microsoft now.

Probably won't see Radeon fan speeds anywhere apart from in Afterburner or Adrenalin

2nd from bottom on left. You might need to add it to tracking, not sure if its there by default.
Adrenalin generally looks after the fans, but you can set a fan curve if you want... I did using Afterburner, as I prefer them to always run. keeps rest of PC cool.

So that is two fans.
You won't see Power supply fan speed ever. Rarely anyway, only some PSU have the ability to show it. Corsair ones don't in that model.

Good chance all 3 120mm fans on AIO all show as one.
Possible case fans attached to a hub on back of motherboard tray. Hard to tell without looking.

I have to go to sleep, its 5am... I look later. :)

Goodnight!

I disabled AVG preventing fan control from doing its thing. It only allows me to control 2 fans after the test, the ones on the bottom of the case (1k rpm) and the 3000k rpm one, which doesn't seem to be effected at all with the slider, but when i was fiddling with it the light on the block on the motherboard blinked. so perhaps it is that running at full or being counted as one fan, or as someone elsewhere on the net said, this is normal for it to be running full speed?

Either way, thanks for the help so far! I appreciate it.
(another little sidenote, GPU fan isn't running at all. Haven't tested with a beefy enough game to see if it kicks on only when needed, but its otherwise active.)

gpu fan probably only spin when you get to about 60c in a game. That is normal.

curious about the 3k fan now.

3 on the bottom, 3 on the side, and 3 on top with one out the back.
so can control bottom ones, which of the other 3 are on the AIO? I would have put it on side but I assume Ibuypower put it on the roof...
case came with 4 fans already.

There are two types of fan connections for power, 3 pin & 4 pin.
3 pin fans always run at full speed, you cannot change them or see them in software.
4 pin fans let you change their speeds.
eCps1yP.jpeg

So That explains another 4. It is normal for case fans that come with cases to only have 3 pin connectors, I had to replace the ones that came in my case to be able to control them. It has its advantages as you get 4 fans for "free" but if you want to control them in software, you need to replace them. Some cases like Lian li models don't come with fans... that was main reason I didn't get one as it added an extra cost to upgrade. I didn't replace fans until 1 year after I got PC.

GPU - 2 fans, can't control unless you set up a fan curve in Adrenalin or MSI Afterburner
Case -
4 fans that always run at a set speed. 3 on side + 1 on back.
3 bottom fans you can control...
3 fans on top are on AIO and probably controlled by Deepcool software?

So that 3000rpm fan isn't included in the count?

Download HWINFO and see if it can identify the fan that is running at 3k. It will show way more info than you need to see. Look on sensors page and like mine, the fans should show on the motherboard section

I suspect its probably the Pump for the AIO. I would leave it alone if motherboard light blinks if you try to mess with it.
Is case noisy? I mean, its got 12 fans in it we know of, but if one was running at 3k I expect I would hear it over the others.

You might as well uninstall Fancontrol if it can only see 3 fans. I mainly use it to control my aio fans and make sure they run under 1000 as they create a noise over that, and I run my two chassis fans at lower speeds as they 140mm and don't need to run max

I use HWINFO to track temps mostly. One way to see what PC is doing
zy7juZf.jpeg

first two are core temps and package, on CPU. Next is nvme, and last is GPU.

Last edited:
Jan 28, 2024
Visit site
gpu fan probably only spin when you get to about 60c in a game. That is normal.

curious about the 3k fan now.

so can control bottom ones, which of the other 3 are on the AIO? I would have put it on side but I assume Ibuypower put it on the roof...
case came with 4 fans already.

There are two types of fan connections for power, 3 pin & 4 pin.
3 pin fans always run at full speed, you cannot change them or see them in software.
4 pin fans let you change their speeds.
eCps1yP.jpeg

So That explains another 4. It is normal for case fans that come with cases to only have 3 pin connectors, I had to replace the ones that came in my case to be able to control them. It has its advantages as you get 4 fans for "free" but if you want to control them in software, you need to replace them. Some cases like Lian li models don't come with fans... that was main reason I didn't get one as it added an extra cost to upgrade. I didn't replace fans until 1 year after I got PC.

GPU - 2 fans, can't control unless you set up a fan curve in Adrenalin or MSI Afterburner
Case -
4 fans that always run at a set speed. 3 on side + 1 on back.
3 bottom fans you can control...
3 fans on top are on AIO and probably controlled by Deepcool software?

So that 3000rpm fan isn't included in the count?

Download HWINFO and see if it can identify the fan that is running at 3k. It will show way more info than you need to see. Look on sensors page and like mine, the fans should show on the motherboard section

I suspect its probably the Pump for the AIO. I would leave it alone if motherboard light blinks if you try to mess with it.
Is case noisy? I mean, its got 12 fans in it we know of, but if one was running at 3k I expect I would hear it over the others.

You might as well uninstall Fancontrol if it can only see 3 fans. I mainly use it to control my aio fans and make sure they run under 1000 as they create a noise over that, and I run my two chassis fans at lower speeds as they 140mm and don't need to run max

I use HWINFO to track temps mostly. One way to see what PC is doing
zy7juZf.jpeg

first two are core temps and package, on CPU. Next is nvme, and last is GPU.

didn't seem to show me much else:
29b8f5858f428a4bfca81b7c8558decd301ed3bc.pnj

probably is that pump which is on the top of the pc. when fan control was turning off and on my fans during setup, i think it was actually the ones on the bottom of the case making the most noise (at the 1k rpm) probably due to being on the floor? so if thats the loudest too it might be safe to assume this is fine. as well as hoping that ibuypower keeps an eye on these things in QC, lol.

this program is nifty though, I have a new hdd that crinkles and crackles a ton when accessed, but this program said it seems to be alright and healthy.. so another good thing to know!

ty for all the assistance, i'm glad im not going to bust these fans a week into having my new pc!

Weird, I replied to this...

The 3000 rpm fan = AIO pump, see below.
hRa07q9.jpg

I said more but I can't remember what now.

So rename it in HWINFO to AIO Pump
You could use fan control to reduce speed of the lower fans. Everything else is looked after by system.

this program is nifty though, I have a new hdd that crinkles and crackles a ton when accessed, but this program said it seems to be alright and healthy.. so another good thing to know!
What make/model hdd?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts