EA App Slow Download Speeds

Jul 15, 2020
Visit site
Hi guys. I have the EA App installed, and am currently downloading Mass Effect Legendary Edition, but slowly. Download speed is around 8MB a second. Other Game Launchers such as Steam and Battlenet have higher download speeds on my laptop. Is this a known issue for EA App, and/or is there a fix? Other site threads suggested changing DNS, editing an EA App ini file, etc. Help appreciated :)

changing DNS

That's usually worth doing anyway. What to change to may depend on what country you're in, but in USA Google is almost always one of the top choices—it's in their interest to know what you're accessing on the internet, so they have a big incentive to keep their service fast. ISPs' incentive on the other hand is to do the cheapest to keep you as a customer.

Don't know re EA.

Jul 15, 2020
Visit site
That's usually worth doing anyway. What to change to may depend on what country you're in, but in USA Google is almost always one of the top choices—it's in their interest to know what you're accessing on the internet, so they have a big incentive to keep their service fast. ISPs' incentive on the other hand is to do the cheapest to keep you as a customer.

Don't know re EA.
Hey, I figured it out, and it was user error: My laptop was connected to Wifi, but to my non 5G network connection. Switching to the 5G connection greatly increased download speeds. Went from about 5-7MB a second to about 75-80MB a second. Was able to download a 100GB+ game in under an hour :)
Now, my question is, what is/are the differences between 5G and non 5G network connections? I mean, what is 5G exactly? Thoughts appreciated :p

3G gives Max of 8Mbps. That = 1 Megabyte per second
4g gives Max of 50Mbps. that = 6.25 Megabytes per second
5g gives Max of 10Gbps. That = 1.25 gigabytes per second

each jump makes the other look like its standing still.
8 bits in a byte. ISP measure in Bits as it makes numbers look bigger

5g max is probably not common.

I have 5g on phone but use ethernet at home. I can't afford 1gbps connection speed. I remember having really slow internet so I am happy with what I can get now.

Reactions: Brian Boru
Sep 17, 2023
Visit site
Hey, I figured it out, and it was user error: My laptop was connected to Wifi, but to my non 5G network connection. Switching to the 5G connection greatly increased download speeds. Went from about 5-7MB a second to about 75-80MB a second. Was able to download a 100GB+ game in under an hour :)
Now, my question is, what is/are the differences between 5G and non 5G network connections? I mean, what is 5G exactly? Thoughts appreciated :p
Roughly speaking, they differ in wavelength, that is, a different data transfer rate

TRENDING THREADS