Question Death Stranding. Will you buy it?

McStabStab

Community Contributor
I know several of you have already played Death Stranding, but the only console I own is a Nintendo Switch, so PC is my only option.

Anyone else here looking to try it when it comes to PC next month? What intrigues you about the game? I’m trying not to look too deep into it cause I’d like to go in without knowing too much.

Reactions: Rensje and Sarafan

Sarafan

Community Contributor
I don't have a PS4 and I'm planning to buy the game, but not on its release date. I'll probably wait for a sale. What intrigues me is its unique gameplay. I don't remember a game in which the main feature is transporting goods on your legs. I like the whole physics concept of this process. The game is very unconventional and I like fresh ideas in gaming.

Reactions: Rensje
I bought it on PS4 at launch and enjoyed my time with it. I won't be buying the PC version but I can say that I think it's worth it even at full price. It's very unique and relaxing, but it never lets you get away with zoning out completely. The story is very Kojima, i.e. very on the nose but also strangely heartfelt and poignant. It won't be to everyone's taste but it worked for me.

If you have any intention of playing this at all, don't sleep on it: due to the shared world nature of the game, the first few weeks after launch are going to be the most enjoyable. After the first month on PS4 I was falling behind other players in terms of progress and noticed that a lot of the heavy lifting had already been done for me, effectively making the game much easier or at least a lot more streamlined.

May 19, 2020
Visit site
I remember seeing the trailers for this and then being super disappointed it was not for PC. So, yes, definitely buying it, I have it pre-ordered for around $50. I usually don't buy games until they've been out for a while, but looking forward to playing this!

Apr 24, 2020
Visit site
I might pick it up again, i played it on console but i didnt expect it to be a chill (majority) walking game where i could just lose hours an enjoy it, i bought it late so wouldn't mind seeing it on launch contributing to more world builds etc.

Reactions: Rensje
It's not really on my radar, beyond mild curiosity regarding the weird name, its star actor, and something about a baby that I'm not really clear on. To be honest, the only game I'm waiting for is Cyberpunk 2077. And I'm not even in a hurry for that, thanks to my backlog. (I've almost finished the Blood and Wine DLC of The Witcher 3. I think.)

It's not really on my radar, beyond mild curiosity regarding the weird name, its star actor, and something about a baby that I'm not really clear on. To be honest, the only game I'm waiting for is Cyberpunk 2077. And I'm not even in a hurry for that, thanks to my backlog. (I've almost finished the Blood and Wine DLC of The Witcher 3. I think.)
I respect people like you who actually finish games before moving on. I'll usually buy a new title I like the look of, play about 50 hours and move on to the next new thing. There's exceptions, of course. I've played an unhealthy amount of Souls, Diablo and the like, but those are the outliers. I can't finish a 100-hour RPG. I just don't have the patience for it.

I respect people like you who actually finish games before moving on.

While I appreciate the compliment, I'm sorry to say The Witcher 3 is an anomaly for me. Most games I do not finish. I didn't finish Skyrim, didn't finish Fallout 4, didn't finish GTA V, didn't finish Red Dead Redemption 2...

I do 'intend' to finish them, but for instance, I've had The Witcher 3 for ages now, and I'm only just now almost finishing it. (I played a lot of RDR2, Pillars of Eternity and Pathfinder Kingmaker in between.)

So yeah, I don't think I have the patience either, I'm just deluded into thinking I might. (The last giant game I completed entirely along with all of its DLC was Fallout New Vegas, ages ago.)

I probably will wait a year or so before buying it, it doesn't appeal to me enough to buy it full price. In the end of the day it is more of a paranormal pee simulator with lots of fancy toys.

Jun 7, 2020
Visit site
Well, I ended up pre-ordering if from GMG. I'm just keen to play a different kind of game. I haven't bought a game at launch since... maybe 15 years. Last game I got closest to launch was Doom Eternal, cos my wife got it for my bday (god bless her).

Reactions: Mazer and Zloth
I'd love to pick it up and embrace the weirdness, but I know in my heart of hearts that I just won't have the time to make any progress. Apart from the 50-100 hour playtime I understand that the mechanics and gameplay loop basically necessitate play sessions that last multiple hours, and my commitments in meatspace just dont leave me gaming time of more than an hour or so a few times a week/month. I made a genuine effort to play Pillars of Eternity recently which I've been keen on since release and that's already pretty much abandoned at this point.

This'll go into the list of tv shows, games and movies that I'll promise to revisit one day and never will.

Jul 13, 2020
Visit site
Was interested when it was first announced and trailers piqued my interest.
But as soon as I saw gameplay, all that walking around I decided to pass.
I don't have as much free time as I used to so I have to pick games which to play.
And currently there are quite a few games that I enjoy/know I'll enjoy more.

Reactions: Mazer
Jun 7, 2020
Visit site
I've only played a few hours so far, but I gotta say... if I were to recommend one video game to someone, it might be this. It's an absolutely bonkers, original, funny, frustrating, uplifting, visionary experience. You only live once, and it could be over at any time, so if you're a fan of creative entertainment, you owe it to yourself to play Death Stranding. Give in, totally surrender to the ridiculousness, read all the messages, watch all the cutscenes, remove any expectations you have and just play it.

Reactions: Berious and Dakkon
May 31, 2020
Visit site
Bought it already. So so good. Sucked me in like few games recently have.

* The graphics/music and world building are phenomenal.
* The game play is engaging. Some caveats here - there's not loads of shooty action, it's more about route planning, inventory management & choosing how you'll get around the terrain. Chill rather than adrenaline action.
* The characters are cool (getting quite attached to my jar baby lol).

GOTY 2020 so far for me. Expect Cyberpunk to top it (assuming it's not further delayed) but we'll see.

TRENDING THREADS