customer support .... or lack of !!!

I have been a die hard gamer since 1982 and over the years i have had my fair share of ...... its your problem not ours !!!!

As far back as the earlier 1980's games sellers did not seem to care about customers if you got say R TAPE LOAD ERROR and took the game back the shops would say if it works on our tape deck/demo machine its YOURS that is faulty and not our problem .... the easy was out way for me to put sellotape on the snapped off cassette tabs and record 1 second of silence so it would fail in the shop , yes i know it was wrong but it was the only way to get a refund.

Fast forward to 2002 when i got my first pc .... you take a genuinely faulty disc back to a shop and would be greeted by 1 of 2 replies ,
1 .. You have opened the box and are now the licence holder , licences are not transferable so we can resell it ..... hmmm ! did you just hear me say the disc is faulty ... how can you resell it ?
2 .. The infamous .... if it works on our set up you cant have a refund cos that will prove its YOUR pc thats faulty and not the game.

I once sent a game disc back to the makers cos when i opened the box the disc had a crack in it and the shop said how do we know you have not done it. The company sent me an email and said the disc is not cracked but if you want a replacement give us your bank details and we will send you a replacement . I said no and the disc was sent back complete with the none existent crack !!

Most problems seem to occur when you get a new pc and try to install a game disc that you have used on another pc , you either get the message to say this game code and/or email address has already been registered .... you say yes i know its in use its mine !!!

I did an online chat with one company because i had 3 games that said the id code was in use , it was ... by me. Even when i emailed photos of the discs and codes on the cases they said they would not "burn" my codes and give me new ones unless i could email proof of purchase .... do you know where your receipts are or even keep them.

Unless you use a download client such as steam or epic you can get the same problems regardless of weather free or paid for , 4 years on a game you enjoyed and you sometimes have to start afresh or just give up because you get told your email address/password and username is in use. On very rare occasions if you can give them information that nobody else would know they will send you a special link to download the game so you can carry on.

I know that some people would say its all down to stopping piracy or hackers getting your games but some companies just say no when you ask for help , i have a large amount of games that i cant re-install just because they were used on a previous pc.

On steam if you have a problem with a game , you search for the game in your folder and you will find an email address for the company so how come they cant be bothered to reply

I did not like games clients when they first took off because i did not have a physical disc to hold in my hand but looking back at past experiences i would now say clients are the best thing to happening in gaming.

A funny one to end on .... many years ago a young kid wanted to buy some sort of game card for warcraft and the shop owner refused and said your not old enough , the young guy just laughed and so that not a problem i will just my dad my spending money so he can get it for me !

Last edited:
Outside of UBI-soft not being able to help me reset my anno 2070 server side issue, i've never had an issue with support. Then again i've also never had the issue you are talking about.

Typically i just send an e-mail, and nicely try to explain the issue and it eventaully has gotten resolved. Sometimes it takes a few tries.

Good luck

I have been a die hard gamer since 1982 and over the years i have had my fair share of ...... its your problem not ours !!!!

As far back as the earlier 1980's games sellers did not seem to care about customers if you got say R TAPE LOAD ERROR and took the game back the shops would say if it works on our tape deck/demo machine its YOURS that is faulty and not our problem .... the easy was out way for me to put sellotape on the snapped off cassette tabs and record 1 second of silence so it would fail in the shop , yes i know it was wrong but it was the only way to get a refund.

Fast forward to 2002 when i got my first pc .... you take a genuinely faulty disc back to a shop and would be greeted by 1 of 2 replies ,
1 .. You have opened the box and are now the licence holder , licences are not transferable so we can resell it ..... hmmm ! did you just hear me say the disc is faulty ... how can you resell it ?
2 .. The infamous .... if it works on our set up you cant have a refund cos that will prove its YOUR pc thats faulty and not the game.

I once sent a game disc back to the makers cos when i opened the box the disc had a crack in it and the shop said how do we know you have not done it. The company sent me an email and said the disc is not cracked but if you want a replacement give us your bank details and we will send you a replacement . I said no and the disc was sent back complete with the none existent crack !!

Most problems seem to occur when you get a new pc and try to install a game disc that you have used on another pc , you either get the message to say this game code and/or email address has already been registered .... you say yes i know its in use its mine !!!

I did an online chat with one company because i had 3 games that said the id code was in use , it was ... by me. Even when i emailed photos of the discs and codes on the cases they said they would not "burn" my codes and give me new ones unless i could email proof of purchase .... do you know where your receipts are or even keep them.

Unless you use a download client such as steam or epic you can get the same problems regardless of weather free or paid for , 4 years on a game you enjoyed and you sometimes have to start afresh or just give up because you get told your email address/password and username is in use. On very rare occasions if you can give them information that nobody else would know they will send you a special link to download the game so you can carry on.

I know that some people would say its all down to stopping piracy or hackers getting your games but some companies just say no when you ask for help , i have a large amount of games that i cant re-install just because they were used on a previous pc.

On steam if you have a problem with a game , you search for the game in your folder and you will find an email address for the company so how come they cant be bothered to reply

I did not like games clients when they first took off because i did not have a physical disc to hold in my hand but looking back at past experiences i would now say clients are the best thing to happening in gaming.

A funny one to end on .... many years ago a young kid wanted to buy some sort of game card for warcraft and the shop owner refused and said your not old enough , the young guy just laughed and so that not a problem i will just my dad my spending money so he can get it for me !

You know, I had amazingly good luck back when I bought games on disc. I literally never got a bad one. I haven't bought a physical copy in probably 10 years now, so I don't have to worry about it anymore.

Of course, refunds are automatic on Steam now so long as you meet the criteria, but I did send in a support ticket to Valve once, and they took care of it immediately, so I was pretty impressed by them.

I am stuck on operencia , the active spells have gone from my 4 main characters so unkess the company fix it i will never be strong enough to do it abd i am only on map 4 of 16 , many emails have not had a reply

The nightmare of taking a trip down memory lane strikes again.
Just for the hell of it i decided to re-install the origonal guildwars today , It takes my email address at log in but wont accept my password and i know its correct because i got it wrote down in a safe place , the change forgotten password link does not work and yes i did check trash and spam box on my isp server , i normally use thunderbird linked to the server so i guess thats another game i will never be able to use again.

TRENDING THREADS