Custom Soundtracks to your games...?

Zloth

Community Contributor
More of the opposite. If a game lets me, I'll take music from other games and drop it in! Europa Universalis 4 got music from Crusader Kings, Civilization, and Galactic Civilization... plus a few Final Fantasy 7 bits just for insanity's sake. I really wish more games would let me do that. There are plenty of games that have fine music but could still use a LOT more.

Reactions: Krud and spvtnik1

Zoid

Community Contributor
I'll put on music or a podcast during games like Forza Motorsport where the soundtrack is limited and doesn't serve a storytelling purpose, or in any game where I'm doing a fairly mindless task (like spending hours building a settlement in Fallout 4). There are also middle-ground games that let you choose your own soundtrack by way of an in-game radio, like in GTA or Fallout.

In general though, I rarely inject my own music into a game. A game's soundtrack is one of the most important aspects of the experience for me. I love video game music and studying the ways that composers write for games, from the old chip-tune days to the modern era of full orchestral scores. There are many games for which the soundtrack is critical to storytelling, action, and overall game design. I'd never dream of playing Halo, Mass Effect, or Oblivion without the sounds of O'Donnell, Salvatori, Wall, or Soule.

Reactions: spvtnik1
I always try to give the original soundtrack a listen, but often I end up creating my own playlist. Sometimes I'll even just shut the music off for an immersive experience. What do you prefer?

Cyberpunk 2077

I like that you've already made a Cyberpunk 2077 playlist!

Anyway, I'm a bit like Zoid in that I put a lot of creedence into a game's soundtrack. Once in a great while I'll make an exception if it's a particularly long game that I forsee replaying, like Skyrim for instance. I've installed a couple music mods that add to the pre-existing soundtrack so that I don't get tired of certain songs. I've been using it for so long that I couldn't even tell you which are vanilla Skyrim songs and which are from the mod.

The only time I make my own playlists/custom soundtrack are in games that welcome it within the game itself. For instance, in both the Rollercoaster Tycoon series and Planet Coaster, I always add my own custom music so as to keep things distinct and creative and not hearing the same ride music everywhere. And when I give one of The Sims games a spin, I'll usually add songs I like to the radio folders, though it's sometimes jarring to jump from a Simlish song to an English-speaking song.

Reactions: spvtnik1

TRENDING THREADS