CPU or Graphics card?

May 8, 2020
Visit site
I have a Asus 980ti and a i7 3820 which should i upgrade for gaming as can only afford to either get a 1080ti or a i7 9700k
I play War cone and GTA5 and other similar titles and am looking to improve my fps

Zoid

Community Contributor
These ^^^

But also:
I have a Asus 980ti and a i7 3820 which should i upgrade for gaming as can only afford to either get a 1080ti or a i7 9700k
I play War cone and GTA5 and other similar titles and am looking to improve my fps
Are you not satisfied with your performance in any games currently? If so, monitor your CPU and GPU usage in those games and see which is higher. Is your i7 3820 maxing out at 100%, or is your 980 ti?

As for what to upgade them too, we'll obviously need more info, but in general I wouldn't recommend a GTX 1080 ti or an i7 9700K. Not that either are bad, just that neither are a good value at the moment (unless you get crazy good local pricing).

Reactions: Ultrasam247
May 8, 2020
Visit site
I have a budget of around 500 pounds and am in the UK I am gaming on a Asus 144hz Full HD 1920 x 1080p
and am finding i am getting around 95fps on low settings at 100hz and would like to be seeing higher fps in better quality

May 8, 2020
Visit site
What is your budget for upgrades?

What country and currency are you buying in?

What monitor are you gaming on? What is the resolution and refresh rate?

What kind of FPS are you getting at what settings?
I have a budget of around 500 pounds and am in the UK I am gaming on a Asus 144hz Full HD 1920 x 1080p
and am finding i am getting around 95fps on low settings at 100hz and would like to be seeing higher fps in better quality

Zoid

Community Contributor
Monitor your CPU and GPU usage to determine whether its your CPU or GPU holding you back from higher framerates. You can use task manager, MSI Afterburner, or whatever other monitoring program you have.

Without doing that we can't be sure which component would give you the biggest benefit should you upgrade it.

May 8, 2020
Visit site
Monitor your CPU and GPU usage to determine whether its your CPU or GPU holding you back from higher framerates. You can use task manager, MSI Afterburner, or whatever other monitoring program you have.

Without doing that we can't be sure which component would give you the biggest benefit should you upgrade it.
hello, they both fluctuate to 100% i would say my gpu is at 100% more

Inspireless Llama

Community Contributor
From what I've always understood is that GTA5 is a CPU demanding game so I'd look into CPU usage first. I'm not sure if the other one is CPU or GPU intensive.

I think a 980ti still is a good card upto today and I doubt that should be the one having issues.

Also, how much RAM do you have?

It sounds like there's an issue with your system hindering performance. As you shoul probably be getting more than 95fps on low settings. Especially with a 980 ti at 100% load.

Have you checked CPU and GPU thermals and frequencies under load? In case something is overheating, or is otherwise failing to reach its proper frequencies?

May 8, 2020
Visit site
It sounds like there's an issue with your system hindering performance. As you shoul probably be getting more than 95fps on low settings. Especially with a 980 ti at 100% load.

Have you checked CPU and GPU thermals and frequencies under load? In case something is overheating, or is otherwise failing to reach its proper frequencies?
im not sure how to do this ? whats the best way to get a good reading

TRENDING THREADS