CPU and/or mobo upgrade

Aug 24, 2020
Visit site
Goal: be able to run Age of Empires 2 DE smoothly with 2560x1440 resolution on my desktop computer.

Main Question: Is there a CPU that should improve my computer performance appreciably while being compatible with the mobo? Or should I look seriously at CPU+Mobo upgrade? I've recently added a GPU (XFX AMD RX570) that helped me achieve running a game I wanted (AOE2 DE) but it occasionally lags as the CPU pegs to 100% (due to background sys processes it seems). The CPU can handle the game running but that's about it.

Based on my motherboard, here's the compatible list of CPU's that should work. Would any of these be a noticeable improvement... or should I look at Mobo+CPU? If so, what's the best value for this purpose?

Current computer (built in 2010, GPU, power supply and SSD upgrades since):

Age of Empires 2: DE requirements (recommended)
  • CPU: 2.4 Ghz i5 or greater or AMD equivalent
  • CPU SPEED: Info
  • RAM: 8 GB
  • VIDEO CARD: Nvidia GTX 650 or AMD HD 5850 or better
  • PIXEL SHADER: 5.0
  • VERTEX SHADER: 5.0
  • FREE DISK SPACE: 30 GB
  • DEDICATED VIDEO RAM: 1024 MB

Thanks in advance,
-the raven

Aug 24, 2020
Visit site
@JCgames or anyone else: if I'm looking for a Mobo+CPU+RAM combo to build, and would work for the next 10 years, what should I be looking for? I built the current computer in 2010, and now would like to update to work from 2021-2030 :)

At that time I paid $92 for the motherboard, $88 for the CPU, and $60 for the RAM. Anything competitive in a similar price range now-adays?

TRENDING THREADS