Question Can someone help this really novice computer gamer?

Jan 13, 2021
Visit site
I recently bought the Alienware Aurora R11 with the 3080 graphics card. It was a major upgrade from my old laptop. The reason I did this is I'm getting back into gaming and I wanted a computer that could keep up with me. I decided to buy this one because I wanted one that would hopefully last me a couple of years before needing any major upgrades. I was also hoping I could play games in 4k resolution. However, when I check my display options, the highest it goes to is 1920:1080. This means this computer isn't capable of running games in 4k right? I asked one of the "experts" before I bought it specifically if this machine could run games in 4k resolution. I was told yes. After asking a couple of people afterwards though, I found out if the display settings do not go up that high, the machine can not run in 4k. What can I do to upgrade it so I can play games in 4k? Here are my PC specs:

Intel Core i7-10700F CPU @ 2.90 Ghz 2904 Mhz 8 Cores 16 Logical Processors
Ram 16GB
Windows 10 Home

OsaX Nymloth

Community Contributor
The max resolution and refresh rate depend not on the "box" that is your PC but on your monitor. Your machine seems powerful enough for 4K gaming, but your monitor is limiting you on this factor. So the simplest and well, only thing (other than gaming on your current resolution) is to buy new monitor that meets your demands. Just to be sure you could post what monitor you have right now to be sure.

As mentioned above, you'll mostly need to decide on native resolution (4K or 1440p etc.) and refresh rate (basic 60hz, 144hz or maybe even higher?). There's of course lot more to consider, but ask and people will recommend monitors to you.

Jan 13, 2021
Visit site
The max resolution and refresh rate depend not on the "box" that is your PC but on your monitor. Your machine seems powerful enough for 4K gaming, but your monitor is limiting you on this factor. So the simplest and well, only thing (other than gaming on your current resolution) is to buy new monitor that meets your demands. Just to be sure you could post what monitor you have right now to be sure.

As mentioned above, you'll mostly need to decide on native resolution (4K or 1440p etc.) and refresh rate (basic 60hz, 144hz or maybe even higher?). There's of course lot more to consider, but ask and people will recommend monitors to you.

Ok whew. I was hoping something like that would be the case. I did not buy a monitor to go with it (a funds problem) so I am currently just using my basic flat screen tv. If I were to buy a good gaming monitor, then I could play games in 4k? This tv only goes to 60hz from what I've been able to find out. I have been looking around for another tv, and if it says it can handle 4k resolution, would it be able to display 4k graphics? If not, I have no problem with buying a regular computer monitor. I've just always fancied playing computer games on my big screen tv is all. Thank you so much for your help! And it was so fast too!!

Reactions: Frindis
This is the monitor that I use (Amazon link):

Amazon.com: Philips Computer Monitors BDM4350UC 43" LED Monitor, 4K UHD IPS, MultiView PIP/PBP, USB 3.0 hub, Speaker, VESA, 4Yr Advance Replacement Warranty, Black: Computers & Accessories

I love a big screen and 4k resolution, but I don't own a TV (I hate television). It is capped at 60hz, but it is perfect for me, as I play mostly RPGs, so 60hz max is fine for my purposes. Newer 4k monitors are coming out now that have a refresh rate of 144hz, but they are smaller and more expensive.

TRENDING THREADS