May 3, 2020
Visit site
Hey all, just got a Razer Core X Chroma with the Nvidia GeForce RTX 2080 super card. I was curious if overclocking is safe/recommended with the eGPU using MSI Afterburner. Will it mess with the balance designed by Razer in the Blade Stealth laptop? Their website says not to over lock the INTERNAL CPU and Graphics cards because it will void the warranty.

overclocking the GPU woulds give pretty slim performance gains, if any, given the existing constraints of the eGPU, and the relatively limited overclocking headroom of geforce cards anyway. I doubt it's dangerous since the eGPU has its own power supply - assuming the power supply is sufficient for the increase in power draw - but I wouldn't say it was recommended. Especially if you bought the eGPU as a package and it's unclear what the warranty terms are.

In your position, I wouldn't overclock, but I also wouldn't worry about much, if any, performance being left on the table as a result.

1) Thunderbolt 3 limits the benefit of the eGPU fullstop. It already bottlenecks GPU performance in gaming (PCIe x4 bandwidth).

2) Therefore, an overclock is not going to help much, because the GPU is already bottlenecked.

3) Even if it was in a full desktop system with a PCIe 3.0 x16 connection, overclocking doesn't add a huge amount of performance. A bit maybe, usually not much.

4) you're not sure of the warranty implications either

Given the above, it is not worth trying to overclock the GPU.

TRENDING THREADS