Anything decent other than OBS for both screen and game capture?

I've been using and have been happy with Bandicam, but they have revoked my license on my second PC even though I've bought Bandicam 3 times through the years. I'm not going to fight with them. I'm just going to switch to something else.

I want to be able to record whatever is on my screen, not just games. Note that Nvidia Shadowplay does NOT record laptop screens.

My only problem with OBS is that there is no way to confirm that it is actually recording without pulling the app back up and looking at it.

Zloth

Community Contributor
I want to be able to record whatever is on my screen, not just games. Note that Nvidia Shadowplay does NOT record laptop screens.
It should be able to do that. First, though, you need to make sure the laptop screen is using your NVIDIA graphics card. Second, you've got to tell Shadowplay that you're OK with it recording your desktop by setting the option in the privacy settings.

It should be able to do that. First, though, you need to make sure the laptop screen is using your NVIDIA graphics card. Second, you've got to tell Shadowplay that you're OK with it recording your desktop by setting the option in the privacy settings.
Unfortunately, no. It will not do it on a laptop unless you have a separate monitor. If you are using your laptop screen, you have to have a game open.

record whatever is on my screen, not just games

I've only used OBS in the last year or two, so these are only fyi from my notes—may be useless for you, or maybe not:

You may already have
Windows Game Bar—not only for games.
Powerpoint—if you already have MS Office.
Windows Steps Recorder—if you don't need real video, but a set of screenies every time you do sth like click or press a key.

Other
Ezvid
VLC

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts