Anyone using discord

Status
Not open for further replies.
I recently registered on the discord page of a well know game.
I managed to get as far as the main page and could see users comments scrolling , i tried to post a comment but it said i must click on some sort of link to allow me to post something.
It would not let me post anything but it showed me as the same name i am using here which is a complete mystery because i have never used discord anywhere , i dont know how to.
What really alarmed me was that in the top right corner of the page were photos of a car i bought 3 tears ago , i took the photos in front of my home , it also shows photos of a local wedding barge that i took about 2 years ago , this sent me into panic mode as i never never posted these photos anywhere so how did they appear.

Wow. I was going to say maybe in the past, you created a Discord account, but you just hadn't signed up for that channel yet. But if you've never posted the photos anywhere, that's pretty bizarre.

I hate Discord, though. People act like forums are dead, and Discord is the new thing. But the way Discord is set up sucks compared to forums. Plus, you have to remember that it's really more like a live chat that kind of acts similar to forums when they're not moving fast. I've messed with it some, especially when I was into crypto. But I never liked it.

Run a malware scan.

If you don't have a good anti-malware there, use one of the good online ones:

There's a chance it's just coincidence that this issue emerged while you were on discord.

hello wooden saucer .... i wanted to asked how to use mods safely on a certain game , steam users told me to basically **** off and the games own forum told me to use discord , i have contacted discord and asked them to destroy everything connected with my email address.

Reactions: WoodenSaucer
hello wooden saucer .... i wanted to asked how to use mods safely on a certain game , steam users told me to basically **** off and the games own forum told me to use discord , i have contacted discord and asked them to destroy everything connected with my email address.
Do you have a screen shot with the photos on it? Were the photos parts of ads? I assume these photos are stored on your PC? Was Discord doing a demonstration of how you could customize the page? That seems unlikely, but sites have done odd things before. Actually, are you using Discord on your phone?

Hello brian i have already done those scans , this is not the first time something like this has happened .
Somebody rang me once and said you always saying you dont use facebook and i am looking at your profile , i was not using it but i got to the account with my email address just by doing forgot password. I shut the profile 4 times before the builder of it stopped.

A few years ago a guy on a forum that is now shut down suddenly started posting my user names , login details and game tags for all sorts of things , he even posted a password i had not used for 20 years , i am sure at one time he was watching what i was doing on steam because i change my tag to i hate cheats and not long after on the forum he asked why i dont like cheats , the only way to stop him was to dish out abuse so the editor banned me and removed everything i had ever been on so i did have a sort of victory.

Yesterday the discord incident and last week twatter said somebody was trying to get into my account , joke is i only follow music people of concert i go to.

Reactions: Brian Boru
Hello brian i have already done those scans , this is not the first time something like this has happened .
Somebody rang me once and said you always saying you dont use facebook and i am looking at your profile , i was not using it but i got to the account with my email address just by doing forgot password. I shut the profile 4 times before the builder of it stopped.

A few years ago a guy on a forum that is now shut down suddenly started posting my user names , login details and game tags for all sorts of things , he even posted a password i had not used for 20 years , i am sure at one time he was watching what i was doing on steam because i change my tag to i hate cheats and not long after on the forum he asked why i dont like cheats , the only way to stop him was to dish out abuse so the editor banned me and removed everything i had ever been on so i did have a sort of victory.

Yesterday the discord incident and last week twatter said somebody was trying to get into my account , joke is i only follow music people of concert i go to.
There aren't any pictures of anything in Discord when I open it. Where did you download Discord from?

hey zed i think your onto something .... the link to the games discord was posted to me on that games forum

Discord say they are removing everything
I don't think what you downloaded is anything other than Discord. There are currently no known Discord spoofs in circulation. Also, personal photos of a non-public figure for nefarious reasons is far too complicated for criminals, in general, when they can just lock your system and ask for crypto or just steal your identity without you knowing it.

Without being able to see a screenshot or logging into your system, it would be hard for me to make any determination. I don't believe that Discord uses your personal photos or that they ask for permission to use them at any point, so I have no idea what you are looking at. If it concerns you, uninstall it and run a couple of security scans on your system.

I'm also pretty comfortable in saying that Discord isn't deleting all the pictures they uploaded from your computer because they never uploaded them to begin with.

Reactions: Brian Boru
thanks Zed .... i consider myself pretty ok with internet but i am glad i am not buying my first pc today as a noobie , things were a lot different 20 years ago when i first got one , the internet is now like walking in a mine field , whenever i get a new pc i reset my old one and use it for things i dont want to put at risk on my latest rig and believe it or not it has saved me some heart ache

Status
Not open for further replies.