PCG Article Alone in the Dark is coming back with a 'completely original story' from the writer of SOMA

Yeah the only AitD game I played was the 2008 game. I was drawn to it because at that point the series was finally given fairly decent graphics for it's time. It had a few interesting ways you could use light, but the character movement and aiming was horrible. I also didn't like the gameplay, which had a lot of places where you had to avoid spikes coming up from the ground, and really awkward driving sections. It seems like a lot of Atari games (which that one was), just feel like cheaply made value games.

I'm glad THQ decided to honor the original games, and even though the developer is pretty unknown to me and I haven't played any of their games, I'm hoping this will be a good one.

On the subject of Survival Horror though, nothing looks more interesting to me than The Calisto Protocol. The more I see of it the better it looks to me.

Here's some of the latest footage of The Calisto Protocol, now THIS is hardcore horror!

Yeah the only AitD game I played was the 2008 game. I was drawn to it because at that point the series was finally given fairly decent graphics for it's time. It had a few interesting ways you could use light, but the character movement and aiming was horrible. I also didn't like the gameplay, which had a lot of places where you had to avoid spikes coming up from the ground, and really awkward driving sections. It seems like a lot of Atari games (which that one was), just feel like cheaply made value games.

I'm glad THQ decided to honor the original games, and even though the developer is pretty unknown to me and I haven't played any of their games, I'm hoping this will be a good one.

On the subject of Survival Horror though, nothing looks more interesting to me than The Calisto Protocol. The more I see of it the better it looks to me.

Here's some of the latest footage of The Calisto Protocol, now THIS is hardcore horror!
I'm on an information blackout with Calisto Protocol. Don't want to know anymore until I play it :)

Learned that from @Brian Boru

• Haha
Reactions: Brian Boru
I'm on an information blackout with Calisto Protocol. Don't want to know anymore until I play it :)

Learned that from @Brian Boru
Yeah sometimes I worry I spoil things for myself, but my curiosity and anxiety often gets the better of me. That said, I also have to wonder if at my age my continually fading memory will even allow me to remember what I've seen by the time I actually play it. Sometimes being an ignorant old fart is bliss. :giggle:

Sep 2, 2020
Visit site
As a die-hard fan of the original Alone in the Dark trilogy (1992-1994), which I still keep playing every now and then, I'm totally happy to hear the first game is gonna get a remake. I can't hide I'm really looking forward to going back to a revised version of Derceto, although I'm well aware some features of the original game - for example, going through several books in order to find the solution to a puzzle - very likely won't be in the remake (the times have changed and modern gamers don't like spending tons of time to solve a riddle): however, I keep my expectations very low, in order to prevent myself from being disappointed if the game isn't what I thought it'd be.

PS: I hope they'll keep the mirrors puzzle and the hallway puzzle!

TRENDING THREADS