Question Advice for my pc build

May 5, 2021
Visit site
Hello folks,

I was thinking about replacing my old i5 3470 desktop which I use for web development and light gaming (Battlefield 1 and Battlefield V multiplayer and thats it) with a new build. I went to the shop's site and the first list is the parts I've picked myself after reading the description (Bear with me I'm just a software guy; don't know much about hardware, but the description said they are compatible so went with it). After contacting the shop the shop said the second build (second list) is more performant than my parts.

MY INITIAL BUILD (UNDER MY BUDGET)
  • Intel® Core™ i7-10700F
  • ASUS PRIME H510M-E (MOBO)
  • T-CREATE CLASSIC 10L 16GB (2 x 8GB) 3200Mhz
  • Seagate BarraCuda 2TB ST2000DM005 (HDD)
  • Antec VP550 PLUS 550W 80+ (Power Supply)
  • GAMDIAS BOREAS M1-610 (Cooler)
  • WD Green 120GB M.2 SSD

BUILD RECOMMENDED BY MY SHOP (BIT ABOVE BUDGET)
  • INTEL CORE I5- 10400F
  • ANTEC NEPTUNE 120 RGB (Liquid Cooler)
  • MSI B460M BAZOOKA (MOBO)
  • 2 X PATRIOT SPrem 8GB 3200Mhz
  • CORSAIR CV550 80+BRONZE
  • ADDLINK S20 SATA 256GB
  • WD BLUE 2.0TB

I really want some advice on how I can improve this situation, which one to go or maybe a change to a completely different part/parts. (I have a GPU; from the old build which I'm gonna transfer to a new build :D). Sorry for saying "mid range" this could be low end af but I really don't know.

Thank you!

May 5, 2021
Visit site
Hi! It will be easier if you listed your country and budget, then we can make builds in PC Partpicker that could be better than either option. :)

Edit, either way the second build is worse for more money.

2nd Edit, also if you could list what your GPU is exactly it would help with the choice of PSU.

Thanks for the response,

I'm from Sri Lanka, and my currency is LKR. (Sri Lankan Rupee). My current GPU is GTX 1660 Ti. These are parts that are available in the only store that has fair prices. And most of them aren't even on the PC Part Picker site (The RAM Brand for example)

OK well I guess Partpicker cant help then :) Shame. Good for you you already have a GPU, that would be difficult at the moment otherwise.

The first build is better as I said, but be aware the 10700F can draw quite a lot of power, and therefore produces quite a lot of heat. I cant find a review of the Gamdias cooler you have there, but it looks mid range so you might experience some throttling due to high temperatures. It will probably be better than the 120mm AIO the shop suggested though, but the 10400F wont put out as much heat.

Personally I'd be a little nervous in a hot climate putting an 8 core I7 on that Asus H510 motherboard, as the VRM's have no heatsinks and current Intel chips run very hot and power hungry. Would you be willing to consider an AMD setup? They are far more efficient currently and can happily run without throttling on the boxed coolers, and the 8 cores and below do not require strong voltage regulation on the motherboard. A Ryzen 3700 on a B450 motherboard would be good value and perform better than the Intel setup in many situations.

I'd prefer a Seasonic M12 III in a budget build for the PSU myself, the Antec VP series is a little basic but the wattage is sufficient otherwise.

Looks like the B460 Bazooka only supports up to 2933 RAM speeds, whereas the Asus H510 will go up to 3200mhz so that's worth noting.

You also wont fit anything more than Windows 10 on a 120GB SSD, but OTOH 256GB isnt much better these days so I'd call that basically even.

May 5, 2021
Visit site
OK well I guess Partpicker cant help then :) Shame. Good for you you already have a GPU, that would be difficult at the moment otherwise.

The first build is better as I said, but be aware the 10700F can draw quite a lot of power, and therefore produces quite a lot of heat. I cant find a review of the Gamdias cooler you have there, but it looks mid range so you might experience some throttling due to high temperatures. It will probably be better than the 120mm AIO the shop suggested though, but the 10400F wont put out as much heat.

Personally I'd be a little nervous in a hot climate putting an 8 core I7 on that Asus H510 motherboard, as the VRM's have no heatsinks and current Intel chips run very hot and power hungry. Would you be willing to consider an AMD setup? They are far more efficient currently and can happily run without throttling on the boxed coolers, and the 8 cores and below do not require strong voltage regulation on the motherboard. A Ryzen 3700 on a B450 motherboard would be good value and perform better than the Intel setup in many situations.

I'd prefer a Seasonic M12 III in a budget build for the PSU myself, the Antec VP series is a little basic but the wattage is sufficient otherwise.

Looks like the B460 Bazooka only supports up to 2933 RAM speeds, whereas the Asus H510 will go up to 3200mhz so that's worth noting.

You also wont fit anything more than Windows 10 on a 120GB SSD, but OTOH 256GB isnt much better these days so I'd call that basically even.
I'm thinking maybe changing it to a B460. It's only the ram speed issue (because there aren't any remaining stocks for lower speed rams somehow in the entirety of my country... maybe). Does i5 10400F perform hugely lower than i7 10700F? It's just that I don't feel like going from i5 to another i5 lol :D
Can go for 256GB nvme.

Reactions: Adwira92
10700f has 8 cores and 16 threads and the 10400F has 6 cores and 12 threads. Quick reference here. An I5 will also limit you to 2666 RAM speed on B460 vs 2933 on an I7.

Its not a matter of H510 vs B460. Many B460 and H510 boards have low end power delivery (VRM) that might throttle (Run more slowly than specified) a 10700F and/or run too hot, lowering its life span overall.

The MSI MAG B460M Mortar and the Asrock B460 Steel Legend look like they have a strong VRM that could run a 10700F, there may be others either B460 or H510, its not a matter of the chipset :)

TRENDING THREADS