32GB of RAM and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080 16GB GDDR6 overkill?

Status
Not open for further replies.
unless you going to play Star Citizen you probably don't need 32gb of ram

even if it looks good

O8rJYwt.jpg

its kind of pointless unless you do video editing.

Got nothing to say about gpu, if you can afford it, why not.

what are rest of details of laptop?

Last edited:
Reactions: Ismaya25 and Imron
Jul 19, 2021
Visit site
unless you going to play Star Citizen you probably don't need 32gb of ram

even if it looks good

O8rJYwt.jpg

its kind of pointless unless you do video editing.

Got nothing to say about gpu, if you can afford it, why not.

what are rest of details of laptop?

Thanks for the reply. Yeah the system will have a 11th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 11800H (8-Core, 24MB L3 Cache, up to 4.6GHz with Turbo Boost Technology). It is one of those new X17 systems.

Reactions: Imron
Reactions: Imron
Jul 19, 2021
Visit site
If it's anything like Civ, it'll also need a CPU that is planned for release around 2100!

If you're planning to hold onto it for 5-7 years, and it has the best possible CPU and cooling, then no, not overkill.
Yeah I usually keep systems for that period of time or longer now that I don't build my own systems anymore. I figured I just ask to see what the consensus on hardware vs what futures games would need. Thanks.

wow cool good computer specs ... I'm sure you can play every game with the current maximum graphics smoothly ....
except Star Citizen.

I have Gal Civ 3, i just don't play it.

Civ 5 was the game that used the most ram I had used on previous system , but i don't go looking for games that chew ram.

Windows will have to adapt to PC with more than 64 cores before super huge mega galaxy will run without slowdown or chug

lots of ram to me means i never have to worry about PC needing page file. its still at its default minimum size. 5gb. less usage of my nvme.

One day I might find a use for it and my 3tb of free space. I know people have more space but I just don't use it so why have more?

Reactions: neikan

Zloth

Community Contributor
Yeah, 16 will be good for now. Upgrading RAM later is easy, too. Maybe write down the timings for the memory you got somewhere where you won't lose it to save yourself some hassle later, and you're good.

P.S. Now I'm getting tempted by that super-huge galaxy in Gal Civ 3. You're supposed to have scores of opponents but, if I set it up with just myself and two others, I can sit in the explore/expand/exploit phases for a crazy long time!

if I set it up with just myself and two others, I can sit in the explore/expand/exploit phases for a crazy long time!
Yeah, I often did that in Civ4—2-3 opponents on a large Islands map set to extra, with high sea level. This usually means each player gets their own island and there'll be no contact until ocean sailing near mid game, and there'll be 1-2 Barbarian islands for later colonization.

Reactions: Zloth
The 3080 is not 16GB of GDDR6, its 10 just to clarify. 32gb of ram is not overkill, id say anything above that is. 16 is fine by all means but if youre going 32 i dont think its "overkill" esp. if you plan on doing more than just gaming (streaming/gaming, video editing, multiple monitor setups etc.). I actually just had a friend get one of the alienware PCs you are looking at. The 11700KF is a good cpu but its missing the ability for onboard graphics, so you need to have a gpu with that specific cpu for future reference.

Also, try to remove any bloatware that might come pre-installed on your alienware PC

Reactions: Doni Adam
Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS