1070 to 3070 Upgrade Help

Sep 6, 2020
Visit site
Hello everybody!

My PC is about 3 years old now and I am looking to move towards high performance 1440p gaming with a 3070 next month. I am however a little concerned about making the jump and wondering if I need to make any other changes before taking the plunge. My specs are:-

I5 8400 2.80ghz
16gb DDR 4 3200mhz
Gigabyte 1070 mini
Corsair 650w
Z370 HD3

Am I good to go simply changing cards or is this rig simply not ideal to make such a jump? I'm trying to make the upgrade as cheap and hassle free as possible. By my own admission, I am not the brightest when it comes to these things either and I don't want to make a mistake!

Many thanks for your time
Rich

There should be nothing stopping you from swapping the GPU out.

Assuming your chosen model of RTX 3070 fits in your case (which I expect it's likely to, but best to check). The founders edition is listed as:
Length 9.5" (242 mm)
Width 4.4" (112 mm)
Height 2-Slot

Some third party editions with different / potentially better coolers will have different dimensions.

What model is your case?
What CPU cooler do you have and - if a liquid cooler, where is it installed?

And what model is your PSU? Corsair VS? TXm? RMx? Something else?

What model of monitor are you likely going for?

Reactions: luis.balsells
Sep 6, 2020
Visit site
There should be nothing stopping you from swapping the GPU out.

Assuming your chosen model of RTX 3070 fits in your case (which I expect it's likely to, but best to check). The founders edition is listed as:
Length 9.5" (242 mm)
Width 4.4" (112 mm)
Height 2-Slot

Some third party editions with different / potentially better coolers will have different dimensions.

What model is your case?
What CPU cooler do you have and - if a liquid cooler, where is it installed?

And what model is your PSU? Corsair VS? TXm? RMx? Something else?

What model of monitor are you likely going for?
Many thanks for your response!

My case is an in-house brand from Chillblast - same as this https://i.pinimg.com/originals/72/7c/94/727c94106681341df572e964b08392de.jpg basically. It is very spacious and could easily support a dual fan full-sized GPU I think. Can't seem to find a better picture sadly.

My PSU is a Corsair CX650 and I use air cooling but I am not sure of the brand for that component. Ideally I just want to swap over the GPU's without any bottlenecking or other issues arising.

In terms of a monitor, I will look to get maybe as Asus TUF VG27AQ or an LG Nano model. If my budget becomes tight, I may just end up tiding myself over with an Acer 271UP.

Thanks for your help!

That's actually a Corsair Spec 04 with Chillblast written on it :)

Even still has the little sails logo from Corsair :D

You should have room for just about any RTX 3070 model you could want. I asked about the cooler because if you had a water cooler with a radiator mounted at the front for example that could shave off clearance, but even then you'd be fine with a lot of models (*probably)

Those monitor choices look spot on. Though I wouldn't recommend 'tiding over' with a monitor - you'd ideally keep a monitor for longer than the service life of your GPU.

Your PSU seems fine.

The rest of your stuff seems fine - an 8400 should be fine for a while at least, especially at 1440p. Okay, you might get a few more frames per second on an i9 10900k, but your CPU is still fine. I don't think you need to worry about any upgrades there for now at least.

Last edited:
Sep 6, 2020
Visit site
That's actually a Corsair Spec 04 with Chillblast written on it

Even still has the little sails logo from Corsair

You should have room for just about any RTX 3070 model you could want. I asked about the cooler because if you had a water cooler with a radiator mounted at the front for example that could shave off clearance, but even then you'd be fine with a lot of models.

Those monitor choices look spot on. Though I wouldn't recommend 'tiding over' with a monitor - you'd ideally keep a monitor for longer than the service life of your GPU.

Your PSU seems fine.

The rest of your stuff seems fine - an 8400 should be fine for a while at least, especially at 1440p. Okay, you might get a few more frames per second on an i9 10900k, but your CPU is still fine. I don't think you need to worry about any upgrades there for now at least.
That is brilliant news and thank you so much for your help with this. Weirdly, my case doesn't have the logo on so I just assumed it was some sort of in-house job from the retailers with their own build. You learn something new every day lol!

Is there any 3070 model you would recommend specifically out of the new range? Cheers!