Cyberpunk 2077 - is it really a good game; or just really pretty?

Page 2 - Love gaming? Join the PC Gamer community to share that passion with gamers all around the world!
I think everyone has valid points...
Its garbage that publishers can release a half baked product and you have to wait years before the experience is enjoyable and mostly bug free.

But its also a great thing to see publishers who continue to put work into a game that wasn't up to expectations, listen to the fans, and actually fix the things they want fixed vs what some suit told them the game needed.

CDPR has earned redemption in my eyes as well, but the fact that they needed to earn redemption means they screwed up at launch.... which shouldn't be a thing.

Welcome to gaming in the 21st century... It mostly sucks here lol but it has its moments

edit* Grammar
I really think the only way you can get any enjoyment out of the game given the money one pays when it's still a current release, is to refuse to put up with the BS bugs, like V standing in a T pose half naked on the motorbike any time you ride through the downtown area, and just shelve it until it's in a somewhat more playable state.

That's what I did after just a few sessions when I became tired of such bugs. Even then though, by the time they actually had it to the point of an acceptable build, the price was quite a bit lower, so you still feel like you got burned.

To be honest, I haven't even paid attention to whether CDPR tried to make up for it with free story content, but I don't care. I will still treat them as if their games are not to be trusted until WELL after launch.

May 13, 2024
Visit site
I think everyone has valid points...
Its garbage that publishers can release a half baked product and you have to wait years before the experience is enjoyable and mostly bug free.

But its also a great thing to see publishers who continue to put work into a game that wasn't up to expectations, listen to the fans, and actually fix the things they want fixed vs what some suit told them the game needed.

CDPR has earned redemption in my eyes as well, but the fact that they needed to earn redemption means they screwed up at launch.... which shouldn't be a thing.

Welcome to gaming in the 21st century... It mostly sucks here lol but it has its moments

edit* Grammar

Entirely the reason why I rarely buy games up front anymore, nor do I read up on stuff like I used to so that I don't get caught up in the hype.

There are exceptions of course, like Diablo IV I had to have and grabbed the premium edition so that I can play early before official release. Although I did grab Cyberpunk 3 weeks after release, and happy to say I had almost zero issues, just some texture stuff early on that didn't affect/ruin the fun.

Reactions: Pifanjr

Zloth

Community Contributor
One thing about the modern CDPR: they make the best endings in all gamedom.

Witcher 3's endings were not only great, they fit how you played the game. A lot of people went on about which ending was the "best" ending - but none really are best. Each of them has good and bad aspects, and the good aspects tend to match what your choices took as most valuable.

Cyberpunk was the same way, but even better, with more endings to pick from. It's a Cyberpunk setting where dying in a memorable way is a much more attainable goal than living to age 40, so a lot of them are grim, but I bet most folks come out of it satisfied.

To be honest, I haven't even paid attention to whether CDPR tried to make up for it with free story content, but I don't care. I will still treat them as if their games are not to be trusted until WELL after launch.
Excellent! Now we just need to get you to realize that 90%+ of developers and publishers need to be in that category. ;)

Excellent! Now we just need to get you to realize that 90%+ of developers and publishers need to be in that category. ;)
It's not that I'm obtuse to the fact that TONs of games are falling well short of the acceptably playable mark for some time now, it's that this one was one of the most highly anticipated titles, and CDPR had boatloads of money from TW3, so most expected better. Not necessarily better at launch, because TW series has had it's share of launch bugs, but THREE YEARS beyond launch to get it to acceptable standards is by no means OK. You see, this is what happens when I'm treated like I'm obtuse, the caps start coming out. How's THAT for a realization! :rolleyes:

I think Zloth is one of those who always waits until a game is on a deep sale with all DLCs released before buying anything and says it pretty regularly across the forum. Pretty sure he didnt mean anything by it, he was poking fun at himself as much as those of us who buy games at release.

Maybe so, but let's not forget forums are a text based medium, and those participating are not psychic. In fact "pretty sure" indicates you weren't even entirely sure of his meaning yourself. Besides, that he's the type that waits a LONG time is no excuse to not try to put himself in the shoes of others when responding to such posts, instead of implying we don't have a clue how bad games are releasing. To me, it comes off as flippant either way.

Last edited:
Reactions: Brian Boru
@Frag Maniac

I actually agree with you that after all TW3 money CD Projekt shouldnt have had any excuse for the state of Cyberpunk at release. I do respect the fact they doubled down and fixed it rather than dropping support and running away with all the money instead though. It is true that a lot of AAA's these days are releasing in a pretty sorry state, so there is something to waiting to play them a bit. Personally if its something I'm interested in I wait for reviews and general buzz to see if whatever it is is broken or not before buying so I never really get disappointed with a purchase.

I played Cyberpunk about 6 months after release and had a good time with minimal bugs. Still meaning to go back to it and try out the updated version.

Reactions: Brian Boru
It is true that a lot of AAA's these days are releasing in a pretty sorry state, so there is something to waiting to play them a bit. Personally if its something I'm interested in I wait for reviews and general buzz to see if whatever it is is broken or not before buying so I never really get disappointed with a purchase.
I HAVE waited quite a bit for most titles I buy, including the 5 I bought off last holiday sale. It's not always as easy as you make it sound for someone that's only interested in certain types of games. Most of the games I see discussed here I have zero interest in, so I imagine it's a lot easier for many here to wait quite a long time, because they have many types of games in their library they can play.

I also think 6 months is very atypical for what you're describing as an acceptably working build of CP 2077. Most, including myself, were quite upset with the state of the game WELL after that point. In fact I'm pretty sure V's T-Pose bug I described was still there, and not what I'd call "minimal". It's the kind of thing that ruined the immersion for me every time I went through the downtown area.

Last edited:
I HAVE waited quite a bit for most titles I buy, including the 5 I bought off last holiday sale. It's not always as easy as you make it sound for someone that's only interested in certain types of games. Most of the games I see discussed here I have zero interest in, so I imagine it's a lot easier for many here to wait quite a long time, because they have many types of games in their library they can play.

I also think 6 months is vey atypical for what you're describing as an acceptably working build of CP 2077. Most, including myself, were quite upset with the state of the game WELL after that point. In fact I'm pretty sure V's T-Pose bug I described was still there, and not what I'd call "minimal". It's the kind of thing that ruined the immersion for me ever time I wen through the downtown area.
I didnt have a single T pose in 38 hours. I do remember a taxi spawning in the air and falling on top of another car randomly in the street, and the cars would pop in quite badly when I was driving. Otherwise it was fine for me, also got it for 29.99 and didnt have great expectations even before release. Cant speak to anyone elses experience at that time of course.

I get that its frustrating when youve been hyped for a game. Youre right I'm lucky that I like a lot of different stuff, so its hardly ever much skin off my nose if something is broken at release because I'll just play something else on the list instead.

I didnt have a single T pose in 38 hours.
The thing is though, it wasn't just your typical T Pose an NPC does at it's spawn point. V would suddenly stand on the motorbike, naked from the waist down, in a T Pose, every time I rode through downtown. As you know, MANY missions require you to travel through downtown. Not to mention how upsetting such a bug would be for parents if they agreed to let their young teens play the game.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts