Longevity and DDR4

Apr 12, 2024
Visit site
Greetings! I have one dilemma: Shall I upgrade now or shall I wait? My current configuration is:

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-AX370-Gaming (rev. 1.x)
PSU: Chieftec Element 600s (600W)
CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 2600x (not overclocked)
GPU: ASUS Dual OC GTX 1060 (6GB)
RAM: 4x8GB HyperX Fury 3200MHz
SSD: HyperX Fury Renegade 1TB
HDD: Seagate BarraCuda 3.5" 2TB
CPU cooler: LC Power LC-CC-120-RGB (advertised for up to 150 TDP)
Case: MS Industrial Spectrum with 5 Arctic P120 fans (3 intake, 1 exhaust, 1 as 2nd CPU cooler fan-also set as exhaust)

So far the PC has worked fine. Had several instances of BSOD, but it has subsided after SSD replacement. All components are from 2018 except SSD, 2x8GB RAM, CPU Cooler and fans. SSD was replaced because the old one's sectors got corrupted. Other components were added/replaced becase I found them for a good price 2-3 years ago.

What I would like to achieve: Being able to use this PC smoothly, for next few years (Windows 10 and after its support is terminated, Windows 11) for, mostly, general purpose tasks and maybe some gaming (spending as little money as possible. Shocking! I know...).
Pretty sure that all I would need to replace is CPU with something like Ryzen 5 5600x, for general purpose tasks. It would also help with some games that I sometimes play. For many other games, I would simply need a much stronger GPU.

Why am I here? Well, this part... I am not really sure how to structure. I guess my main concearn is do PC components deteriorate over time? I suppose this might sound stupid, but nothing lasts forever (except maybe RAM :^) ). I am also concearned with Windows 11's support for DDR4 platform. Not really concearned with if the system is going to run, but are programs running on Windows 11 going to be optimized enough for DDR4? Therefore:

• Shall I replace components like Motherboard (with updated DDR4 version of it) and PSU? (There is also an advantage here in getting faster PCIe slots. Although, I am not really sure how much that really improves the performance?)
  • Shall I save that money for completely new DDR5 PC?
  • Or shall I leave current components as they are and add/replace those that influence the performance mostly (CPU and GPU) and what would be the best options?
If you have any other option in mind, please, do tell.

Thank you in advance. ♥

Reactions: Brian Boru
Mar 6, 2024
Visit site
Greetings! I have one dilemma: Shall I upgrade now or shall I wait? My current configuration is:

Case: MS Industrial Spectrum with 5 Arctic P120 fans (3 intake, 1 exhaust, 1 as 2nd CPU cooler fan-also set as exhaust)

So far the PC has worked fine. Had several instances of BSOD, but it has subsided after SSD replacement. All components are from 2018 except SSD, 2x8GB RAM, CPU Cooler and fans. SSD was replaced because the old one's sectors got corrupted. Other components were added/replaced becase I found them for a good price 2-3 years ago.

What I would like to achieve: Being able to use this PC smoothly, for next few years (Windows 10 and after its support is terminated, Windows 11) for, mostly, general purpose tasks and maybe some gaming (spending as little money as possible. Shocking! I know...).
Pretty sure that all I would need to replace is CPU with something like Ryzen 5 5600x, for general purpose tasks. It would also help with some games that I sometimes play. For many other games, I would simply need a much stronger GPU.

Why am I here? Well, this part... I am not really sure how to structure. I guess my main concearn is do PC components deteriorate over time? I suppose this might sound stupid, but nothing lasts forever (except maybe RAM :^) ). I am also concearned with Windows 11's support for DDR4 platform. Not really concearned with if the system is going to run, but are programs running on Windows 11 going to be optimized enough for DDR4? Therefore:

• Shall I replace components like Motherboard (with updated DDR4 version of it) and PSU? (There is also an advantage here in getting faster PCIe slots. Although, I am not really sure how much that really improves the performance?)
  • Or shall I leave current components as they are and add/replace those that influence the performance mostly (CPU and GPU) and what would be the best options?

Thank you in advance. ♥
Hello,

Your PC setup looks pretty good overall, but upgrading might be a good idea if you want to keep up with newer software and games. Your components can wear out over time, especially the CPU and GPU, affecting performance.

For your goal of smooth performance for the next few years, upgrading the CPU to something like the Ryzen 5 5600X would help. For gaming, a better GPU would also make a big difference.

You're worried about Windows 11 and DDR4 compatibility. While DDR4 should still work fine, newer DDR5 systems might become more popular soon. But sticking with DDR4 for now and focusing on CPU and GPU upgrades is still a solid plan.

So, in short:

Upgrade CPU to Ryzen 5 5600X for better performance.
Consider getting a better GPU for improved gaming.
Stick with DDR4 for now, but keep an eye on DDR5 for future upgrades.
No need to replace motherboard and PSU unless you want faster PCIe slots or encounter compatibility issues.

I hope this will help you!

Thank you in advance. ♥
The Ryzen 5 5600 would be the logical upgrade. Make sure to update your board's bios beforehand.

https://www.techpowerup.com/review/amd-ryzen-5-5600/

https://www.amd.com/en/support/cpu/...d-ryzen-5-desktop-processors/amd-ryzen-5-5600

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/PgcG3C/amd-ryzen-5-5600-36-ghz-6-core-processor-100-100000927box

ram doesn't have a use by date, so if its worked fine for the last few years, it should continue to do so. If it was going to cause any problems, it would have by now.

I went from a 3600x to a 5800x3d last year, get more life out of your system for fairly cheap.

Upgrade the CPU as suggested and then you can start saving for a completely new DDR5 system. We will all need one eventually.

I would only replace this if its older than say 5 years and its past its warranty date... more likely to have problems the older they get. If its warranty is still active, you should be okay.

You could upgrade to win 11 now, Your current CPU is supported by it, and there are no problems running it on DDR4 systems, I have been for 3 years now. No reason to use win 10 until support ends, better to jump early in case you run into any problems... you shouldn't as there really isn't a big difference between them both.

Apr 12, 2024
Visit site
Hello,

Your PC setup looks pretty good overall, but upgrading might be a good idea if you want to keep up with newer software and games. Your components can wear out over time, especially the CPU and GPU, affecting performance.

For your goal of smooth performance for the next few years, upgrading the CPU to something like the Ryzen 5 5600X would help. For gaming, a better GPU would also make a big difference.

You're worried about Windows 11 and DDR4 compatibility. While DDR4 should still work fine, newer DDR5 systems might become more popular soon. But sticking with DDR4 for now and focusing on CPU and GPU upgrades is still a solid plan.

So, in short:

Upgrade CPU to Ryzen 5 5600X for better performance.
Consider getting a better GPU for improved gaming.
Stick with DDR4 for now, but keep an eye on DDR5 for future upgrades.
No need to replace motherboard and PSU unless you want faster PCIe slots or encounter compatibility issues.

I hope this will help you!
Thank you very much.

Apr 12, 2024
Visit site
ram doesn't have a use by date, so if its worked fine for the last few years, it should continue to do so. If it was going to cause any problems, it would have by now.

I went from a 3600x to a 5800x3d last year, get more life out of your system for fairly cheap.

Upgrade the CPU as suggested and then you can start saving for a completely new DDR5 system. We will all need one eventually.

I would only replace this if its older than say 5 years and its past its warranty date... more likely to have problems the older they get. If its warranty is still active, you should be okay.

You could upgrade to win 11 now, Your current CPU is supported by it, and there are no problems running it on DDR4 systems, I have been for 3 years now. No reason to use win 10 until support ends, better to jump early in case you run into any problems... you shouldn't as there really isn't a big difference between them both.

Thank you very much. What would you recommend as PSU upgrade?

windows doesn't see the PC down to a level where what type of ram you use has any effect. That is handled by hardware, windows just knows how much you have. And where all of its parts are in the space provided, but it doesn't really care if its DDR3 or 5.

I found you elsewhere - https://pcpartpicker.com/forums/topic/450718-longevity-and-ddr4

I don't know the Chieftec brand and there aren't many reviews on the model so knowing what its like is difficult. I would perhaps look at a Corsair RM650 as it might cost more but it also might have better quality parts and a 7 year warranty - it will outlast your PC.

Apr 12, 2024
Visit site
windows doesn't see the PC down to a level where what type of ram you use has any effect. That is handled by hardware, windows just knows how much you have. And where all of its parts are in the space provided, but it doesn't really care if its DDR3 or 5.

I found you elsewhere - https://pcpartpicker.com/forums/topic/450718-longevity-and-ddr4

I don't know the Chieftec brand and there aren't many reviews on the model so knowing what its like is difficult. I would perhaps look at a Corsair RM650 as it might cost more but it also might have better quality parts and a 7 year warranty - it will outlast your PC.
Yeah, I am aware. I gave a little bit more in-depth answer there.

Yes, that Corsair one seems really good and I can buy it locally with 10 year warranty. Maybe they have made mistake on their site. Shall I get a stronger PSU in terms of wattage so I can use it in my next PC as well?

more watts is up to you. You shouldn't need a 1000 unless you plan on getting a 4090 sometime, and then you might need even more power (not sure). I only got a 1000 as at time it was unclear how much my GPU would use, so I went too high. Ends up I probably didn't need it but too late now... meant I could upgrade CPU without worrying too much.

My Rm1000x has a 10 year warranty as well. I was expecting the 650 to be similar but they had a picture on the page that shows 7 years. This one shows 10 so perhaps it is an error on that page

there are new power supply standards that call for different connections and a new PSU, but they slow to roll out. So far only Nvidia GPU use them and maybe one or two motherboards. Its called ATX 3.0

just letting you know that the next PC you make might need a new PSU anyway, but I can't see future... most are still using old PSU.

Last edited:
Apr 12, 2024
Visit site
more watts is up to you. You shouldn't need a 1000 unless you plan on getting a 4090 sometime, and then you might need even more power (not sure). I only got a 1000 as at time it was unclear how much my GPU would use, so I went too high. Ends up I probably didn't need it but too late now... meant I could upgrade CPU without worrying too much.

My Rm1000x has a 10 year warranty as well. I was expecting the 650 to be similar but they had a picture on the page that shows 7 years. This one shows 10 so perhaps it is an error on that page
Thank you.

TRENDING THREADS