Most intensive PC resource Game

McStabStab

Community Contributor
Hello Guys what do you think is the most resource intensive game on PC
My son plays Teardown in sandbox mode and when you start using some of the mods you can cause some crazy situations where the calculation of particles and objects brings your framerate to a crawl.

Also Cities: Skylines 2 seems to be putting my machine through its paces.

flight simulator is mentioned in search results. depends on resolution you play at I guess.

Star Citizen is probably on the list.

last two easily chew 64gb of ram if you have it.

Skylines is a work in progress. I haven't looked at it for a while but it was an unoptimised mess on release, and the makers admitted it.

Civ and most 4x games can chew resources depending how big you make the play space.

Last edited:
Welcome to the forum :)

Civilization games, huge map, max number of civilizations, late game.

The amount of wheat and iron and all the other resources all those hungry civs consume is insatiable!

At least Civilization games take place on a single planet. In Stellaris the entire galaxy is filled with civilizations consuming vast resources, as well as at least one sun eating creature.

Though I suspect the game with the highest resource use is going to be one of the idle clicker games, as those use exponential growth to get to ridiculous numbers.

Reactions: Alm and Brian Boru
Apr 14, 2024
Visit site
flight simulator is mentioned in search results. depends on resolution you play at I guess.

Star Citizen is probably on the list.

last two easily chew 64gb of ram if you have it.

Skylines is a work in progress. I haven't looked at it for a while but it was an unoptimised mess on release, and the makers admitted it.

Civ and most 4x games can chew resources depending how big you make the play space.
Defiantly right on that. i have a decent PC and still get a bit of lag sometime. depending on the settings i use

Zloth

Community Contributor
Which resource?

X4:Foundations can take your CPU to the limit - but just one core. It will also let you turn on volumetric clouds and anti-aliasing, which will destroy the framerate. (They display a warning, but somebody comes by every month complaining that they play other games at "ultimate" settings just fine, and thus this game should work just fine as well. <eye roll>)

For memory, the 4X games can really burn through a lot. It's easy for them to simply make a map bigger, so they let the player pick the size up to the limits of their computer's memory. They can hit the CPU real hard, too, though its typically only between turns for the turn-based 4X games.

I don't know any that really hit network bandwidth hard. No online game I know of (which isn't saying much) sends a lot of data. They're mostly worried about how quick the network response times are, not bandwidth, and ping times aren't a PC resource. Network ports aren't a problem unless some program screws up and doesn't release them when finished.

Apr 14, 2024
Visit site
Which resource?

X4:Foundations can take your CPU to the limit - but just one core. It will also let you turn on volumetric clouds and anti-aliasing, which will destroy the framerate. (They display a warning, but somebody comes by every month complaining that they play other games at "ultimate" settings just fine, and thus this game should work just fine as well. <eye roll>)

For memory, the 4X games can really burn through a lot. It's easy for them to simply make a map bigger, so they let the player pick the size up to the limits of their computer's memory. They can hit the CPU real hard, too, though its typically only between turns for the turn-based 4X games.

I don't know any that really hit network bandwidth hard. No online game I know of (which isn't saying much) sends a lot of data. They're mostly worried about how quick the network response times are, not bandwidth, and ping times aren't a PC resource. Network ports aren't a problem unless some program screws up and doesn't release them when finished.
I know flight sim is pretty hard on some components. But I know these newer games are heavy on the GPU. Cyberpunk was decent but had a few spikes. But my pc is old as mold but it still gets the job done. Really want to build a new one but these prices are crazy. On the new stuff so may hold out a bit longer 😬

Reactions: Brian Boru
I assumed you meant CPU/storage intensive, plenty of games out there that will push GPU, especially any Nvidia tech demos such as Cyberpunk. I don't bother with RT games so I can't comment, most games I play run at max settings on my display.

Most Vram I have ever used was 18gb in Diablo 4.

Diablo 4 easily eat all your memory unless they fixed the memory leak in its graphics system.
Last Epoch also chews ram but a restart of the game will fix it.

Most of the games I play are small and run in a shoebox.

TRENDING THREADS